Author Topic: Chicken Chasni  (Read 10790 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Chasni
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 04:02 PM »
Wow!! that explains it well :)

It sounds like a yummy dish to me, although through health reasons, I now need to avoid creamy curries and the like..... probably indulged a bit too much when I was younger... lol

However, I did take particular notice of the variance in regions and have to agree, when I was up in Scotland back in the 80's the curry was marvelous. ( I have to say that we were based around Glasgow, so didn't really get to the east coast for an Indian).

Also down here in the south I think there could be a wider variance of curries available. Particularly, in the South East, i.e. Berkshire region we have a lot of ex Ghurkas (having been attached to Sandhurst for many years) who have started up their own restaurants. They not only offer Indian but they're own variants too.

The reason I say that is because a few years ago I travelled up to Northern England for a few days on business, and I find their curries much more bland than down south. I think I would draw the border between Birmingham and higher to include those regions. I obviously can't speak for eveywhere, as I am sure they all differ, but I had a few Madras's up there which were very wishy washy and not at all to my tasting.

So back to the South, and I can't speak for Dorset, been their loads of times but never had a curry down there, but we have a particular Indian restaurant not more than a mile from me which offers, "The Chicken Fire Eater"........ (New in Berkshire) Pieces of Chicken cooked with herbs, spices and VERY hot sauce.

Now I've never tried it as I really don't think I could afford the toilets rolls for the next morning.........let alone the electricity to freeze them all night for that extra comfort the next day :)

But a good friend of mine who always has something in between a Vindaloo and a Phal, I'm going to take next time and let him be the laboratory.......

I'm not sure what the variants are up there either, but for instance, we do A CTM which is normal plus a hot and spicy one too. Has anyone ever heard of a Mis Mass? Aparently its Tandoori Mixed grill without the bone cooked with tomato sauce and Chef's special spices. Very Mild and tasty dish. "These are excerpts from the menu's.

The Ghurka one which is called "The Shahi", also offers Nepalise dishes, such as....

Jimmu..... A very special Nepalise dish cooked with special Nepalise herbs called Jimu found in the foot hills of the Himalaya's. Now I can vouch for this as I went to a new Chinese Store in Sandhurst yesterday to stock up on spices and found packets of "Jimmu" herbs. I have not bought any as of yet, as I have no Idea of what to do with them. But the next time I go, I will ask the staff how to use them. Funnily enough when I was in the store there were quite a few "ex Ghurkas" in there buying loads of produce. Presumably all from the local restaurants.

Another dish they do, is Kurilo. A very healthy and highly recommended Nepalise dish cooked with steamed Asparagus...... The list goes on......

They do all the usual Indian stuff and their Garlic Chilli Chicken is amazing, but another Indian Dish they offer is Kathmandu Chicken or lamb...... Not a dish you find in many places.... but well spiced Chicken or Lamb with Onion and Tomatoes....... Now isn't that a Rhogan Josh?......... which they also serve?.......

As we can all see, every region has it's own theme on Curries, and I think we all have to accept that no matter where you go, no curry will ever taste the same as the one you buy most from your local takeaway, be it better or worse..... :)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Just made this and I have to say it's very nice - wasn't sure on my first taste so I called the second in command to have a try and we stood there dipping in over and over - had to stop because we're not eating it just yet (no tomato or coriander garnish in it - will do that just before serving) ;D It has more flavour than I thought it would for the light spicing and the balance between sweet and sour is spot on for me - I had worried at the amount of sugar needlessly as it turns out. Lovely creamy curry, I'll be making this one again for sure. ;D

Never had an original chasni to compare it to but for a new dish it's a cracker :)

(got a couple of pics but they're crap as ever lol)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 06:18 PM »
Domi I took a couple of pics too but wasn't happy with the result - yeah I'm not sure, how close it is to the real thing but I think it is in the right ball park. I've have made the recipe from the original Ashoka cookbook (this is a one-off baseless recipe) but I found it overly tomato-ish and sickly sweet, not surprising given that it uses 200g ketchup, 180g mango chutney and 400ml single cream for for four portions!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:46 PM by Stephen Lindsay »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 06:32 PM »
Good Grief Stephen, I think that would be my total intake of sugar for a week!! lol :)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 08:22 PM »
c'mon 976bar....what did ye expect from a Scottish curry? lol ;D That baseless recipe looks like a heart attack in the making :o This base version's very nicely balanced though :)

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 08:37 PM »
Just had this for tea minus peppers and chilli - due to other half's allergies.

Was very nice. The mango was initial taste followed by creamy spiciness - can still taste it an hour later. Very moreish! Never had one in restaurant, or even heard of it before now, but recommend it as lovely alternative to CTM or korma.

The other half loved it and it might even be her new fave! Pictures may follow.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:49 PM by Tomdip »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 10:17 PM »
Tomdip

Glad you liked it and your photo does justice to the recipe. It is on my to do list to knock up a Chasni using the Taz base so I'll post my efforts when I get round to that.

Steve

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 08:06 AM »
that was using the Taz base - and most scrumptious it was too  ;D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 01:01 PM »
excellent news tomdip so it proves the Taz base works with the recipe then?

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 02:34 PM »
Certainly does. Have been working through a Taz base for a while and every curry I have made (including your pathia) have been excellent.

©2024 Curry Recipes