Author Topic: Glasgow Red Pakora Sauce  (Read 45647 times)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow Red Pakora Sauce
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 12:04 AM »
i havent tried it yet

Jivvy - try my spicy onions recipe - its exactly like glasgow BIR spicy onions !!!

Offline JivyJ

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 08:45 AM »
Yes found your version looks good will give it a try
Jivyj

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 09:22 AM »
Great post guys, the only thing I have yet to conquer after 30 years of searching is pakora itself. I have the sauce, the onions but can't quite get the Pakora a 10/10. I even watched a chef cook them after being given the recipe ( posted here) even watched him make them up and copy every time but just fall short scoring 8/10. If anybody has replicated a 10/10 Glasgow Pakora I would love to see it posted. PP

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 11:09 AM »
Hi Guy's,

Can I just ask a question, slightly off topic, but related in someway?

I hear lots of comments like Glasgow spicy onions, Glasgow Pakora sauce, Glasgow Tikka, and so on.....

Would I be right in assuming then, that the vast majority of Glasgow BIR's all have the same taste?  Are they really that consistant?

I know you Glaswegians are very proud of your BIR's, so don't take this post the wrong way, It's just a question.  ;D

We have a great curry scene in Manchester but there is no way, I could describe a particular dish as a Manchester this, and a Manchester that, everywhere is just so different!

Ray :)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 11:27 AM »
I think there are two reasons why we are prefixing now with Glasgow and that's because firstly most chefs are from A particular area of India or originally were and so set the standard . The second is to do with portion size most of us who have curry in the south can't quite believe the size of the dishes and are genuinely shocked by the size of your nans. Every region should be proud of their BIRs and working to recreate the local taste and smell is what I think we are all after

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 11:34 AM »
Hi PP,

How do you mean, do you think our portion sizes are too small.  Again, this does vary from place to place but the portion sizes have definately decreased over the years.

Ray :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 11:57 AM »
The smallest curries and naans I have had have been in England - Scottish portions much more generous - and naans that take up most of the restaurant table.

Offline JivyJ

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 06:15 PM »
No I wouldn't say they have all the same taste, some are really good, some are just ok and some are goddamn awful, but the majority do the spiced onions and the pakora is more favourable than bhajis.  I can only compare with curries in Edinburgh, London and abroad and I find them all tasting very different from Glasgow, some good others not so good.  In Glasgow if you order a takeaway  Tandoori mixed grill, you will get a quarter (some almost half)  tandoori chicken,  chicken tikka, lamb tikka, chicken chat, seekh kabab, curry sauce, red pakora sauce, nan bread, rice and salad and some throw in some spiced onions all for just under ?10.  My experience in London is you have to order all seperately and it costs a lot more and I have never had a good curry.  Here in the city there is a new trend of indian restaurants which sell small portions tapas style so that you can order three to five different dishes each and everybody shares, they are all made to order and with very fresh ingredients and no food colouring.  The best place for this style is a place called Mother India Cafe you can see them cooking the food and there is always a queue every night of the week. 

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 06:56 PM »
@ JivyJ , what mother india cafe are you taking about ?

Offline JivyJ

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 07:16 PM »
It has been opened for a couple of years now it is at 1355 Argyle Street just across the road from the Kelvin Art Galleries.  It is part of the Mother India restaurant groupn  but the cafe is a smaller more casual type of diner.  It really is very good you would like it.

©2024 Curry Recipes