Author Topic: Glasgow Red Pakora Sauce  (Read 45644 times)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow Red Pakora Sauce
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 07:24 PM »
not been in that one , been in the 1 further down the road nearer sauchiehall street , will try it out - thanks

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 09:48 PM »
Here's my attempt at JivyJ's recipe

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 10:38 AM »
JivyJ, I too love the Mother India Cafe for the Tapas style. More recently I have enjoyed Balbir,s just off Dumbarton Road, The Shish Mahal off Gt. Western Road , Mr Singhs on Sauchiehall St and any Ashoka. I have yet to see anywhere in the world and especially in England Nans as big as you find in Glasgow or the normal portion of a typical curry dish. However because of this site I took the step to get the inside knowledge and can cook the stuff at home, fantastic but as yet not a Glasgow Nan

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 10:41 AM »
Stephen thanks for the photo. The sauce looks perfect though your Pakora looks interesting. Do they taste like the Glasgow standard even if they look different? Is that how they are looking in Dundee? Intrigued PP

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 03:13 PM »
I" ve made JivyJ's red sauce for tonights Pakora, it's in the fridge right now.PP

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 03:14 PM »
for all who made jivvys sauce , can you explain what it tastes like please and if its the same as glasgow red pakora sauce ?

Offline JivyJ

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 04:35 PM »
JivyJ, I too love the Mother India Cafe for the Tapas style. More recently I have enjoyed Balbir,s just off Dumbarton Road, The Shish Mahal off Gt. Western Road , Mr Singhs on Sauchiehall St and any Ashoka. I have yet to see anywhere in the world and especially in England Nans as big as you find in Glasgow or the normal portion of a typical curry dish. However because of this site I took the step to get the inside knowledge and can cook the stuff at home, fantastic but as yet not a Glasgow Nan

Hi Panpot yes they are all good but all different too, funny Balbir's get a great write up but somehow I've never been too impressed.  The recipies you have given for the Ashoka I think give a very similar result to dishes served in Mother India Cafe.  Like you I have not yet got the hang of the naan, got the taste but not the look, I have tried all the suggestions put forward on this site but still can't get it good, and I have not got the perfect pakora either. but the fun is to keep trying.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 10:19 PM »
Hi Panpot - re the Pakora, I wasn't following a recipe I just made it up to go with the sauce and I had made some Tandoori paste to go with JivyJ's red sauce, so I bunged this in with the gram flour hence why the Pakora look red - they are normally not this colour in Dundee lol.

re the sauce, it tastes just like the stuff we get in Dundee - can't speak for Glasgow - I thought that was your job gazman  ;D

Offline Curry on up the Kyber

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 11:10 PM »
Re Balbirs.  I made a pakora sauce very similar to it.

I blended tinned tomatoes and white cabbage together with salt, mint sauce and chilli powder.

Offline bobsyeruncle

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 02:32 PM »
Many years ago whilst working as a dishwasher in a North Scottish BIR, i wish i had got the whole recipe, they made a sauce which i assume is similar to what you are all after, this sauce was served with all starters and is quite common up here.

One of the main ingredients was tamarind water, other ingredients ranged from tomato sauce/chopped tomatoes with some tomato puree, mint sauce, onions, coriander, sometimes they would throw in bell peppers too and blend the lot.

©2024 Curry Recipes