Author Topic: Garlic and ginger paste  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Garlic and ginger paste
« on: August 12, 2010, 08:40 PM »
Does anyone have a recipe for garlic paste, and a recipe for ginger paste please.

Ive looked but not found separate recipes,

thanks in advance.

Andy

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Garlic and ginger paste
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Hi Andy,

I don't think that there really is a recipe as such escept for the ashoka one.  The usual, is blended garlic and ginger in water.  I guess you could do them separately if you wish!

Not everyones cup of tea, but you can buy jars of garlic/ginger puree.  the bigger the jars, the cheaper it works out.

I often use them with no detrimental differences.

Ray :)

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:52 AM »

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 11:23 AM »
i did the G&G paste from the undercover book but it was a higher % of ginger to garlic and as garlic is the most prominent of the 2 I wanted to make them separate.

Do i use oil or water?

Which of the 2 (oil or water) has the longest life span? 

Panpots Ashock version has a 15 day life span and the undercover version has months, is this because the Ashock`s version is cooked?

Using either oil or water, what is the ratio between the garlic/ginger to oil/water?

Andy

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:38 AM »
Fi5H

If you are meaning "standard" paste then I would give the Ashoka recipe a miss as it is designed to be used in conjunction with the Ashoka bunjara and the Ashoka base.

I would suggest going with Razor's suggestion, or you can make up a little paste by putting garlic (and ginger) through a garlic press and mixing it with a little water or oil - good if you are only needing small amounts for a single recipe.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Hi Andy,

The author of the book is making a dangerous statement when he says the oil covered g/g paste will keep for months in the fridge.

See

http://www.garlic-central.com/dangers.html or just google "garlic and botulism".

It is safe to freeze it though.

Paul.

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 02:00 PM »
Fi5H

If you are meaning "standard" paste then I would give the Ashoka recipe a miss as it is designed to be used in conjunction with the Ashoka bunjara and the Ashoka base.

I would suggest going with Razor's suggestion, or you can make up a little paste by putting garlic (and ginger) through a garlic press and mixing it with a little water or oil - good if you are only needing small amounts for a single recipe.

Yea, what im trying to achieve is a easy (lazy) way of applying G&G without all the chopping/grating/crushing that goes with it, I know fresh is always better but its not always convenient lol   

Hi Andy,

The author of the book is making a dangerous statement when he says the oil covered g/g paste will keep for months in the fridge.

See

http://www.garlic-central.com/dangers.html or just google "garlic and botulism".

It is safe to freeze it though.

Paul.

wow.. thanks for that Paul, I will have to re think my garlic storage techniques,

Andy 

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 03:12 PM »
You could try making your pastes with the water as suggested and freezing it in an icecube tray. Once frozen, empty into a freezer bag and you have ready to use portioned sized frozen G&G pastes. ;)

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 05:43 PM »
Hi FI5H

Have a look in the freezers in your local Asian supermarket, you can get prepared ginger, garlic or ginger and garlic ready frozen in little blocks, no preservatives or additives once defrosted smells and tastes exactly like fresh.

Best bit, costs about a quid per 400 gram pack which is a lot cheaper than fresh and no waste.

Cheers
CoR

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 06:48 PM »
thanks guys..CoR, I wish you would have posted your post a couple of hours sooner lol. i just had my monthly pilgrimage to Sheffield to stock up.. never mind there's always next time. I bought a lot of fresh ginger and garlic to play with.

Andy

©2024 Curry Recipes