Author Topic: Short Film Clip  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Short Film Clip
« on: September 26, 2005, 02:28 PM »
This is a link to a restaurant in Stockholm, I haven?t been there but the wife
says it isn?t much cop (or the swedish equivalent of "not much cop"  ;))

Whats interesting is the video film in the top right hand corner
check it out, youll clearly see them adding curry paste to the dish
So its all true about pataks then? http://www.motherindia.se/

I?m not sure if you?ve seen this site, apologies if its already been posted
I haven?t made any dishes and the ingrediences?s seem a little thin on
the ground compared with Restaurant stylies
http://www.angelfire.com/country/fauziaspakistan

The link works with IE not Firefox

The Link is more accurately http://www.angelfire.com/country/fauziaspakistan/recipes
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 10:48 AM by Ashes_Saag »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Short Film Clip
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 07:42 PM »
Ashes

Great video find, thank you. This is one of the few Internet videos which have worked right away for me, without any problems, and I'm using Firefox too!

Regards
George

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 03:23 PM »
Thanks ashes that video was a good find. I love to see anything like this.

Your comment about the use of Patak's paste may not be what you think. I think he is using chilli pickle, which may or may not be Patak's, and later on you can see him adding lemon juice, so I think he must be making a vindaloo, at least the curry has that look to it.

What was more interesting to me is that he is cooking on a hot plate, so no chance of flamb?ing the curry there. Also there is a big container of cinnamon quills and not cassia bark and the merits of using one or the other was debated here recently.

Anyway nice find.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 03:29 PM »
Like the vid Ashes see the big jar of Vindalloo Paste anyone ?

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 05:57 PM »
Ah yepp, well spotted

there seemed to be 3 jars in the video
the 1st was some kind of Vindaloo Curry Paste
the 3rd was Pataks Mango Chuckney
and the unlabelled 2nd was obviously a large jar of secret ingredient 

must have to pop in later and see if he can get me a couple of those ;)

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 06:17 PM »
YF, I reckon my local BIR puts this Pataks Chilli picke in their 'Balti' dishes that they serve. It has actually became my favorite dish from that place. I must get some and try myself.

One question to confirm if they do use this stuff... the Balti they serve sometimes has a little small grape like vegetable in it although the texture is much firmer - any idea what this vegetable is and do they exist in Pataks Pickle ?

thanks

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 06:30 PM »
The last restaurant i was at a couple of weeks ago http://www.shanti.se/menyer.asp
does a few dishes with pickles in, one is called Achar special its chicken, lamb or beef cooked
with different pickles..

The dish I had was something called a Korai and it was one of the best dishes ive ever tasted
it definately had some kind of pickle in the sauce, maybe those small things like
seeds from some fruit

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 07:06 PM »
The Korai seems to be different from one restaurant to the next I think maybe due to the fact that it just means the type of bowl its cooked in.  My local has a chicken tikka korai as one of the chefs specials and its tops.  The one strange thing about it is that you decide the heat and Ive had both a madras and vindlaoo variations and they taste completely differnet its defiently not just the addition of more chilli  powder.  If anyone manages to blag a recipe of a chef il be intrested  ;)

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 07:40 PM »
Yes Curry King with you 100% on that one
Id love a recip? but id imagine there is alot of technique too

Just found this on http://www.curryhouse.co.uk/glossary/curries.html

Many Indian restaurants had a balti-style curry on their menu long before the rise in popularity of balti cooking in the UK. They did not call the curry a balti but rather a korai or karahi and many restaurants still carry one on their menu. Both the balti and korai contain stir fried meat and vegetables and both take their name from the utensil in which they are cooked. Because korai is a style of cooking rather than a traditional recipe the curry house versions can vary considerably from restaurant to restaurant. It can be medium or hot and will usually contain green peppers, tomatoes and onions

I wouldnt describe the Korai I had as a Balti but i guess in some ways it was a pre-Balti, the sauce was minimal but the taste came from the onions peppers and tomatoes and plenty of bottled secret ingredient, it tasted professionally cooked and made my best
cooking efforts pale in comparison

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 07:50 PM »
Yeah its not a balti by any means the one I have comes with red onion rings, tomatoes and lots of green pepper.  It has quite a lot of thick sauce and the madras strength one is very "nutty" where as the vindaloo version I couldn't describe but its one of the best currys ive had.

©2024 Curry Recipes