Author Topic: Does anyone have a good recipe for a Byriani?  (Read 13527 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have a good recipe for a Byriani?
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 11:42 AM »

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 01:55 PM »
Biryani in all the BIRs I've been to is merely re-cooked rice, I reckon.

Take 3/4 of a takeaway container of pilau rice.
Slice 1/2 an onion and fry it in oil till translucent.
Add in rice and stir fry, add precooked chicken.

Take a cup of frozen mixed veg and half an onion, stir fry in two tablespoons of oil until veg is cooked and onion is translucent and then add half a container of base stock. Cook as you would a curry.

Now get a frying pan and make an omelette out of two eggs.

Garnish with cucumber slices, tomato and chopped coriander, add the omelette and serve with the veg curry.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 02:46 PM »
I think you need to read back further VC :)

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 02:53 PM »
He he he, You're right. I reckon my way will give you a takeaway Biryaini in a few minutes though?  :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 03:25 PM »
LOL :)

I still think I'll try your Onion Bhajis though :)

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 04:25 PM »
that looks delicious 976, I might have to have a go at that when I get time as the wife loves byriani & I might try the garlic & chilli sauce with mine.

cheers

Will

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 05:38 PM »
Hi Willy,

Do you have your own garlic/chilli sauce?

If not let me know and I'll give you the recipe I use, but it is hot. However you can make it as hot or not as you like :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 05:52 PM »
Hi 976,

Everything you have done looks soooooo gooooood ;D

I bet your guest was absolutely gobsmacked?  I would have paid very good money to dine at your that evening, well done mate.

Ray :)

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 06:21 PM »
Hi 976
No I haven't got the recipe for that (thought it was one of CA's) so if you could post that would be great.

cheers

Will

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 07:38 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments guys, it was a lovely meal :)

Willy, the garlic/chilli recipe I use is as follows, and I am sure I got it off here a long time ago, so will not take credit for this, even though I have modified it slightly from the original.

300ml base (so far I have used CA's, but the last time I made it I used 2kg onions and have found it a much smoother base, but that's my own preference and without CA's input in the first place I would not have achieved it. Well done and thank you CA!! :)

2 tbsp rapeseed oil (more if you want it BIR style, I have to watch the oil content)
2 tsp garlic puree
1 tsp ginger puree
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced.
1 1/2 tbsp tomato puree mixed with 3 tbsp water
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 habernaro chilli (I buy the dried version from Aldi and soak for 15 minutes to make it soft. Then chop finely, but be careful, this has the same heat scale as a scotch bonnet and is 10 on the Richter scale! If you handle it don't go to the bathroom soon after ;) Or use whatever fresh chilli's you want to use, but this is supposed to be a hot garlicky dish
1 tsp curry powder (I use Rajah Madras hot)
1 tsp spice mix (I use CA's)
1 tsp methi leaves
0.5 tsp salt (I find that the Chicken Tikka has enough salt in, but add to your tasting)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/8th tsp orange food colouring
a good pinch of fresh coriander

Heat the oil on a low heat in a large pan, add the ginger, garlic, garlic slices and fresh habernaro or whatever fresh chilli's you are going to use. Fry this gently and keep stirring all the time until the garlic has turned light brown and the chilli has heated enough to make your nose run!! Trust me, the aroma will do that :)

Next add the spice mixture, curry powder, salt, sugar and chilli powder and stir into the mixture for around 30 seconds.

Next add the tomato puree mixture and it will sizzle slightly, just stir in.

Then add a ladle at a time of the base sauce (which should be warmed in a saucepan first) and turn the heat up. Stir it in well and cook until the water content has more or less evaporated then add another ladle and keep doing this until all the base sauce has been added.

Now add the lemon juice, food colouring and methi leaves and start simmering that sauce on a low to medium heat, watch it bubble and reduce in size and the oil start to separate from the sauce itself, I normally cook this through for about 5 minutes, just add a little water if it gets a bit too thick.

(If making a garlic/chilli chicken, and I use chicken tikka, I would add the chicken about 2 minutes into cooking the sauce through if the chicken tikka has already been cooked)

Turn off the heat, add the freshly chopped coriander and let it sit for 1-2 minutes before serving....

You will not be disappointed!! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes