Author Topic: Aussie IR Lesson - Gravy 3 - Onion Gravy  (Read 21517 times)

Offline Curryswede

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie IR Lesson - Gravy 3 - Onion Gravy
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 01:10 PM »
Btw, I noticed the ginger/garlic is omitted from the cooking instructions.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 01:24 PM »
Hi Folks,

- Again, this was a very thick paste by the end of cooking. You could still see onion bits though, I questioned him about this and he said they disintegrate in the final dish preparation.

I don't mean to put a dampner on this recipe, but I have been cooking in general for over 30 years now and I have never known onions to disintegrate in anything.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 03:05 PM »
Hi Masala Mark,

Did you ever post a recipe for the "Mixed Powder" on this forum? This is referred to in the beef madras recipe you posted.

That would be really useful. It is interesting the lack of turmeric in the spice list for this onion gravy as well.

Thanks,

Paul

Offline caze

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 06:06 PM »
I don't mean to put a dampner on this recipe, but I have been cooking in general for over 30 years now and I have never known onions to disintegrate in anything.
The recipe calls for very finely chopped onions, and onions will most certainly disintigrate if finely chopped. I usually cook my curries in the traditional slow cooked method (no base sauces, etc.), starting with very finely chopped onions (we're talking a couple mm cube), and the resulting sauce is of a good thick texture (doesn't need other thickening agents like yoghurt, etc.) and you'll not find any bits of onion.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 07:36 PM »
Hi caze (welcome to cr0),

What do you use to finely chop onions? I'm hoping you don't say you use a knife to get onions down to 2mm cubes  ;)

Paul

Offline caze

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 09:52 PM »
Hi caze (welcome to cr0),

What do you use to finely chop onions? I'm hoping you don't say you use a knife to get onions down to 2mm cubes  ;)

Paul
haha, I do actually! It's easy enough with a bit of practice, and a very sharp chef's knife or chinese cleaver (I use the latter).

You can get a similar result texture-wise if you just blend the raw onions and fry them, but that releases too much water so they won't caramelize when you fry them, so it doesn't taste as nice.

Offline Masala Mark

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 12:14 AM »
Hi All,

Sorry for not replying earlier, I shall have to learn how to use the Notify option so that I am aware when people are posting.

976bar, onions will disintegrate into nothingness, depends upon how, and how long they are cooked though.

I have been working part time in an Indian Restaurant for the past 3 months and no gravy is ever blended, all comes down to the cooking process.

The curries are silky smooth, taste amazing and so very simple.

I have made a batch or two at home and it is completely reproducible, and the smell while cooking is incredible, so very different to the boil process which I had used before.

The process used is similar to this recipe, but it cooks for a lot longer, approx 3 hours to make a gravy using 10kg of onion, but well worth it and a better recipe as well. At home using a smaller amount of onions, surprisingly it takes only a little less in time, perhaps due to my inferior cooking medium(electric).

Chopping very fine, just do with a knife, I have also tried slicing fine as per the restaurant and that works just as well, so don't stress over it.

Now back to the original recipe and the questions.

* The ginger and garlic should be added after the onions turn golden brown, and cooked for 2 mins/until the raw smell has gone.

* Checked the spice list, there is no turmeric in the spicing

* Salt, halve the amount in the posted recipe. When it was cooked here it was 2 lvl tablespoons, but as cs found it too salty, I don't want anyone else to waste time/money, salt can always be added later

* Mix Powder - the chef used equal amounts of cumin, coriander, garam masala, turmeric, paprika, and kitchen king masala as his.

* Another thing to be careful of is the spices burning, it will turn things bitter so be careful

I can't post the recipe for the restaurant where I am working, although what I could do is use this recipe and do it the way the restaurant I am working in does it. I have no doubt that it would produce a superior result.

I'll either video it, or take timestamped photos so you can see how done if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Mark

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 12:17 AM »
I'll either video it, or take timestamped photos so you can see how done if anyone is interested.
Of course we're interested, Mark : video/photograph and post away, please !
** Phil.

Offline Curryswede

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 12:26 PM »
A note on the disintegration of the onions etc, the pic on the first page of the finished paste has huge(well relatively) onion bits in it. If you just finely chop (4-5mm squares or so) normally then you will get a smooth creamy sauce without those bits. The only hint of chunkiness I've had in my batches were from the tomatoes, which are a bit harder to finely chop. I like the fact that I don't have to bust out my hand blender for this recipe.

Mark, I'm not sure what your no turmeric in the recipe is in reply to, if it was to me then I didn't say anything about turmeric, so I'm a bit puzzled..

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 04:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It was me Curryswede that asked about the absence of turmeric. I just wanted a confirmation it wasn't missed out.

Caze, I know what you mean about trying to fry pureed onions - it doesn't seem to work too well. I'll have to find a means of fine chopping the onions without losing my fingertips!

One last question, the recipes mean that you would be trying to brown quite a few onions at once. What size and type of pans are you using?

I'm really quite interested in giving these recipes a shot as I feel I could do with a change from my normal cooking.

Cheers,

Paul

©2024 Curry Recipes