Author Topic: Chicken tikka and Tandoori chicken  (Read 22636 times)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken tikka and Tandoori chicken
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 09:45 AM »
Hi

Please can someone confirm what the 'tandoori powder' is? is it a pre-mixed powder or a custom blend?

Many thanks

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Hi

Mustard oil and mustard seed oil are one in the same. As to the quality, one may be cold pressed one may use heat but that's another debate.

Regards

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 08:15 PM »
got the tikka on the go.

1st impressions:

1) a lot of mustard oil - (i normally use 2 tbsp per 1kg)
2) mint sauce is x2 what i normally use (not out of place though)

rest sits well with no real observations on the ingredients other than no use of tandoori masala powder.

on the taste i need to wait till tomorrow to let the spice bind together. so far tastes good - quite taken to it. Nb all tikka marinades i find taste rubbish "good" in fact u can't believe they can produce such a top notch result.

does it taste BIR c/w what i produce at mo ie lasan & CA - probably no but early days

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 08:24 AM »
tasted the tikka marinade this morning before adding the chicken - very nice. no "vinegar" related taste as per Dippies. a very nice balance. promising.

going to cook tonight. i feel it's going to be hard though to push lasan/CA's out from my joint number 1 though.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Hi JerryM,

I made this almost to spec last week. By that I mean I only used 2 Tbs of mustard oil and 2 Tbs of normal oil. I was a bit nervous of the mustard oil as I had never used it before.

Anyway I thought the resulting tikka tasted as good as any other I have made and will use this recipe again. Thanks to Jb.

My only criticism and this is true of many tikka recipes is that the marinade is possibly too thick and cakey. Next time I'm going to try thinning the marinade maybe by using milk in place of some of the yoghurt.

I think for on-the-bone chicken the marinade would be just right but for bite-sized pieces of chicken it comes out a bit heavy.

Paul

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 05:46 AM »
PaulP,

I had the same reservation on the mustard oil. And I was proved correct. It was the overpowering flavour.

Someone made the recommendation to heat it until smoke point and then cool completely before use. That subdued it to a usable level.

Like asafoetida, its one of those ingredients that if you have a bad experience with, it will stick in your memory for a long time...

-- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 07:30 AM »
used 2 Tbs of mustard oil and 2 Tbs of normal oil.

Next time I'm going to try thinning the marinade maybe by using milk in place of some of the yoghurt.

Paul,

i think u struck lucky - i am pretty sure i will reduce to 2 tbsp mustard in future. i don't feel the extra veg oil is needed - i won't add any.

my mix seems fine - it's thick but i'd be concerned that i would loose taste if i thinned it too much - perhaps trial an error over a few goes. i use frozen chicken and maybe that adds a touch of extra water that u don't get from fresh.

on josh's comment everything needs to be in balance - the mustard power does make a difference but it is powerful stuff and u don't need much to get the benefit. as josh say's use too much and it's no good.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 07:33 AM »
pic of chicken marinating.

as this is the 1st make of this recipe it is exactly to spec. i did leave out the food colouring as i don't use it generally. on the food colouring i am not sold on using yellow for tikka - all TA/restaurant i've been to use red.

one thing that does suprise me in this recipe is the absence of garlic. one of the gaps i sense between what i produce and BIR is less garlic in mine than the BIR equivalent. the next day after TA i feel i've eaten garlic. this does not happen with my dish which is even more surprising given that i eat more curry on the night when i make myself c/w to what u get in the aluminium containers ~ probably something like x2 the number of portions 

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:03 AM by JerryM »

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 11:27 AM »
Jerry M in my original post I did list 2 teaspoons of ginger/garlic paste as an ingredient.

©2024 Curry Recipes