Author Topic: marinating tikka in base gravy  (Read 4158 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: marinating tikka in base gravy
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 06:24 PM »
Hi Martin,

As Axe say's well done for giving it a go.  What is it exactly that you don't like about your current tikka marinade then?  If it's the overpowering flavour, you can try a few things.

1, Marinade for only 12 hours instead of overnight. 

2, Marinade, say 5 samples.  One for 2 hrs, 4hrs, 6 8hrs, 8hrs, 10hrs and see which gives you the subtlety of flavour that your after.

3, Use less marinade, say half the quantity.

For a very simple marinade, try rajah Tandoori masala, yogurt and lemon juice.  I think the recommended quantities are actually on the pack!

Hope this helps Martin,

Ray :)

Offline martinr1000

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 08:40 AM »
Hi Ray, thanks for your comments.

i would say that the main problem i have with the marinades and tikka made with them that i've tried so far is that for me they don't taste like any BIR i've ever had.

i've up to now tried many of the recipes on this site for tikka, all to spec and many more from you tube etc. in fact i've probably tried at least two new recipes every time i've had my tandoor out which i've had for about three years now.

the problem as i see it is this. all the tikka i've ever had starts with the intense flavour from the charring on the outside and then gives way to a pleasant mild spice flavour through the rest of it.

most of my tikkas start with the hit of the charring and then give way to a gritty film of yoghurt and many spicy pastes etc. which completely overpower what is there.

maybe i'm doing it wrong, it's quite possible i guess. i usually just mix up all the ingredients in a bowl, put my chicken into it, cover with clingfilm and stick it in the fridge. Half an hour before the tandoor is hot enough we transfer the meat to the skewers and try to shake off as much of the marinade as possible.

what does everybody else do?

oh just one last thing, i think i tried the tandoori masala, yoghurt and lemon juice recipe quite early on. as i remember it it was pretty good compared to some of the kitchen sink recipes i've tried after it. maybe i'll give it another go this weekend (praying for no rain)

thanks

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 10:47 AM »
I gave up using yoghurt to marinade the tikka, I now use lemon juice, Maharaja's choice tandoori paste, orange food colouring, salt and a bit of mix powder and marinate for about an hour.
I know what you mean about using precooked chicken, I've thought of it before but I haven't got a tandoor so I'd have to grill the stuff and that'd probably leave it as tough as old boots.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 01:23 PM »
Martin, thanks for kicking this off. I am intrigued by your "taking out the Tandoor" any chance you could let us in on what it is and where you got it from and how do you rate it?PP

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 03:08 PM »
Hi Martin
Just a thought but you may want to try diluting the marinade with some water, I use a yogurt based marinade and find that if I do not thin it down, it does tend to become an overly thick paste which sticks  to the chicken leaving the gritty taste you describe.
Matt

Offline martinr1000

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 07:57 AM »
thanks guys i will try a few of your suggestions this weekend. looks like the weather will be ok.

has anyone tried marinating and cooking pre-cooked chicken as suggested in undercover curry?

Panpot, it's one of the tandoori-q ones. i would rate it as being very good. i wish i'd opted for the catering size one which is a little more expensive but you can get more in it. the one i have weighs about the same as a baby elephant so i imagine you'd need a crane for the catering one.

it was a bit of a learning experience at first because i couldn't get the thing to light properly at the back using the standard kit and instructions. i ended up getting a fold out vegetable steamer thingie to lift the coals up off the base thus ensuring air flow to the back. oh and i also use half a pack of the foil wrapped firelighters.......it's the only way to be sure.

©2024 Curry Recipes