Author Topic: Aussie IR Lesson - Rogan Josh  (Read 5291 times)

Offline Masala Mark

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Aussie IR Lesson - Rogan Josh
« on: August 28, 2010, 01:18 AM »
Beef Rogan Josh

Ingredients:
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1 small piece Cassia Bark (1 inch by a quarter of an inch roughly)
- 1 Green Cardamom Pod
- 2 Cloves
- 2 pieces of Bay Leaf (these were broken bits from big Indian bay leaves, inch by an inch each roughly)
- 2 tsp Ginger/Garlic puree (50:50)
- 1 Tbsp Mixed Powder
- 0.5 tsp Kasoori Methi
- 1 Tbsp heaped Tomato Paste
- 3 Tbsp Onion Gravy http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4923.0
- 125-250ml Water
- 0.5 tsp White Sugar
- 0.25 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp heaped Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Leaves
- Pre-cooked beef

Prep Work:
- Ginger/Garlic puree is made 50/50 rough ratio with a little water to aid processing

Method:
1. Heat pan, add oil, when warm, add whole spices and fry 30 secs, should see little bubbles at sides of spices
2. Add ginger/garlic paste and cook till just brown, stirring constantly using the back of the spoon to spread/mash/move it around
3. Remove from heat add mixed powder, tomato paste, onion gravy and methi
4. Return to heat, mix through
5. Pour in 125ml of water, mix well and bring to a simmer
6. Add the sugar, salt and pre-cooked beef, mix through and simmer for 5 min or so
7. Add the yogurt and mix through stirring constantly to not curdle, simmer 2 min
8. Add coriander leaves

Notes:
- Depending upon what consistency you prefer, add more water if needed.
- There is quite a bit of salt in the Base Gravies so very little is added, adjust to your taste though.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie IR Lesson - Rogan Josh
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 08:47 AM »
Sounds nice Mark.

Some pictures of your curries would be welcomed :)

Offline ivangough

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 01:28 AM »
Hey Mark..

I'm going to make a Lamb Rogan Josh today and have 2 questions.. Do you have any updates on your "Onion Gravy" recipe? Also can you hare a pre-cooked Lamb recipe to use with it..

Cheers and thanks
Ivan.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:05 PM »
Having been away from the curry scene for a while , i thought i would try this recipe (and the onion gravy) Here are my findings.

The onion gravy was very similar to ashoka banjura paste. The main difference was banjura was slightly sweeter and had tumeric in it. Overall i rate both onion pastes highly.

Next i made the rogan josh.  The final curry was not oily in any way, and was much closer to traditional indian curry than true bir. However the taste was very very good, with a great balance of spices. Its one of the best rogan joshs i have made, and with a few tweeks, and more oil could be made closer to bir styleeee !

Offline Masala Mark

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 02:15 AM »
Hi Guys,

That recipe was from when I had a chef round to my place for a lesson.

I've since worked in a restaurant and been making the gravies while there and at times cooking the dishes when things got busy to assist the chef.

A different recipe for the Rogan Josh which is what I have always tasted as Rogan Josh is below, however most will not know it as such when looking at how the Ashoka Rogan Josh gravy got treated.

Here is how we make it in the restaurant...

2 parts onion gravy
1 part butter gravy
little water to adjust consistency
1/2 tsp tamarind concentrate
1 tsp sugar
pinch mace powder
small pinch/sprinkle nutmeg powder
1 pinch salt ( to taste)

We use multiple curry gravies to make the end dishes, the gravies have a fair amount of spicing in them so at the end very little is added. Pinch of this, pinch of that etc, which just finishes off the dish and sets each apart. Each of the gravies have different spicing so this too makes different dishes taste, well different, and when gravies are combined, different again.

The butter gravy for example has methi in it, for Rogan Josh, not additional methi is added, its not meant to be a dominant flavour of the dish, but it is in there. But for Butter Chicken which is by far the most popular dish here it is added.

Butter Chicken here though is quite different to what I see from the UK recipes as ground cashews are a key ingredient/flavour in the dish but hardly seem to be mentioned in any UK dishes.

It's amazing what you learn from chefs, who would have ever expected that custard powder is used in some dal dishes! I took some dal home from a different restaurant that I help out in and my wife commented about how creamy it was, I asked her if she wanted to know what it was, at first she was a bit worried, but I assured her it wasn't bad but just completely unexpected.

Cheers,
Mark

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 12:01 PM »
Thanks for this Mark, i look forward to trying the new recipe very soon.
I searched for the butter gravy on cr0,  could not see it on this site. I would be very grateful if you could post this , as it sounds delicious ! I did see your nut gravy, and tomato gravy ,which i will try soon.
I think your posts are some of the most interesting posts since the ashoka posts, back in the good old days !  :)
I am sure many people on CRO would enjoy that rogan josh . especially those who like healthy good tasting curry. Great work mate.

©2024 Curry Recipes