Author Topic: Undercover Curry - Base Sauce  (Read 13115 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Undercover Curry - Base Sauce
« on: August 29, 2010, 08:26 AM »
Has anyone here actually made the small quantity of the base sauce from this book? If so, what was it like and is it worth doing?

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Undercover Curry - Base Sauce
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 09:05 AM »
Hi 976
See this thread
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4776.290
I made it the small base and thought it was excellent
Big aroma and depth of flavour

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 10:34 AM »
Many thanks Haldi :)

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:44 PM »
Hi bar,

Done the small u/c base about 5 or 6 times now and agree entirely with Haldi, well worth the effort.

Be prepared for it to be quite an effort though, while it's easy enough it is time consuming, the second 'boil' takes ages to give up the oil (a lot longer than the hour he suggests) so you may want to increase the the oil content in the first stage.

It's also a good idea to have two pans on the go for the second stage at the same time otherwise you might be at it all day!

Don't stint on the hing, the longer you cook it the less it pongs but the better it tastes, good luck ;D.

Cheers
CoR

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Thanks CoR, Guess what I'm doing tomorrow? :)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 11:30 AM »
Just brought some asofotoeda(hing) for my next base sauce.I was really expecting some really obnoxious smell from the jar,I thought it smelt quite nice really a bit like savoury onions.I'm quite intrigued on how the final base sauce will smell/taste.Not really sure how much to put in.

Offline two-sheds

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 01:52 PM »
I prepared the 2 litre version using a slow cooker in the garage about 3-4 hours on low until oil film appeared, then  on cooling completely pureed the gravy and then left on high for a couple of hours the result was a very tasty gravy. I used 400ml of sunflower oil and when completed scooped of approx 150ml to use as "good oil" for use in subsequent dishes

Offline vin daloo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 07:42 PM »
Best results so far(closest to my local takaway anyhow)  With a few tweaks form other books ect.

Offline speedy

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 04:53 AM »
 :)Ive just finished making this base sauce and i can tell you ITS THE BEST! ive ever made,i didnt think the base sauce would make such a massive difference but it does.
Ive in total made about 7 different curry base sauces over as many years on and off trying to get that British Indian Takeaway taste,not the classic indian food the way they make it but the BIR taste and this is it.
I made both the small version and today made the big version, the big version is much,much better.I bought all the ingredients,bought a gigantic stock pot about 15 inches across, aluminium and holds about 25 litres,its that big i cant stop laughing at it,its bigger than the restaurants use,but it was worth every penny.
Anyway made the big version and it put a big smile on my face,it was so delicious with the background taste that had been missing from other bases i had made before.I used approx 8 kg of onions,i peeled that many both my family and my cats eyes were streaming with the fumes but it didnt effect me,normally i have to wear goggles,but not this time,top tip, have a bite out of the onion lik its an apple,after that my eyes DID NOT water.
I dont need to look for any other base sauce recipe as this is the genuine real McCoy,infact my wife and kids said it tastes better than any takeaway they have ever eaten.I made a basic korma with this base sauce,by adding 1 chefs spoon of coconut powder.1/2 of almond,1 of sugar,squirt of uht single cream and 1 chefs spoon of tandoori masala,heated it up and wow, my eyes nearly popped out of my head,it was the dogs boll..ks.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 09:58 AM »
Hi Speedy, welcome to cr0 and congratulations on a successful base.

Interesting to see that you used Tandoori Masala in your Korma, I would have thought that using it in such a large quantity, would have took it more towards a Chicken Tikka Masala flavour but hey, if it works, it works...!

Well done mate, and keep posting as you experiment more with this base.

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes