Author Topic: The Origional CTM  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
The Origional CTM
« on: September 03, 2010, 01:04 PM »
I paid a wee visit this week to a favorite haunt of mine The Shish Mahal in Park Rd Glasgow. It was originally in Gibson Street round the corner. It was probably Glasgow's most popular Curry House back in the 70/80s. The Founder the father of today's owner wrote and published  his ground breaking cookbook and I am proud to say I have a well stained copy from back then among my many cookbooks.

Anyway tucked away deep in the extensive menu. There is a number of Masala dishes. I noticed for the first time that they claim there that The Founder created the original and first ever Masala Sauce by accident.

I asked the present day owner about it and he explained that his dad was struggling with some stomach ulcers and was unable to enjoy any spicy food and of course curry. One day eating a bowl of tinned tomato soup that was easy on his stomach he poured half of it into some base and the first Masala Sauce was created. A few more experiments and the UK's most popular meal was on the menu soon becoming a favourite with those who prefer milder options when visiting the Shish.

Great story and I really enjoyed sharing a Lamb Bhuna and a Chicken Dansak with my son. PP

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Origional CTM
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:38 PM »
Hi

Nice story!

So, the first CTM was created with tomato soup from a can, by accident?

I wonder if any restaurants still use tomato soup in their recipes?

cheers

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:05 PM »
Nice story!

Yes, but is there a grain of truth in it? Does every other restaurant agree with this restaurant's claim?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 01:17 PM »
Nice story!

Yes, but is there a grain of truth in it? Does every other restaurant agree with this restaurant's claim?

I have read many different accounts of this story on the net, all using tomato soup.  I have also give it a go myself and have had some very very good results, so in my opinion, I would say that it is very likely to be true.

With that said, I understand the CTM is a variation of Butter Chicken, probably created on a limited budget back in the 70's. So whether it was created by accident or design, is debatable.

Ray :)

Offline gary

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 09:38 AM »
I'm not sure about this, although I've heard the tomato sauce story many times but personally I think it's a bit of an urban myth.

I don't think there's any truth in this particular claim either as you'd certainly want to avoid eating tomato soup if you had stomach ulcers.

Gary

©2024 Curry Recipes