Author Topic: Hi from Cornwall  (Read 2328 times)

Offline redhotvindy

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hi from Cornwall
« on: September 03, 2010, 02:40 PM »
Well joined about 4 weeks ago - have had the most monumental computer problems for the last 6 weeks - hence I've not posted anything to date

So hi and all the above issues are sorted due to a complete reformat of my PC!!!

Been looking this morning at a massive amount of info and trying to get my head around whats available and where to go

So as you can see from my login ID I like a hot curry and of course that magical BIR taste that we are all trying to create - however I would like to start at a base level and cook a decent Madras first

So in a nut shell what do you guys recommend for a starting point, been reading with interest the ?Undercover Curry? thread and having bought the book I?m not getting the results it claims

So Ca's, SnS, Razor's + many others bases?

Any recomendation would be greatly recieved

Look forward to a reply

Mark

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 02:55 PM »
Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum.

I am sure others will all have lots advice to offer you on where to start, I would suggest that that you start with:

CA's base: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3772.0

Bruce Edwards spice mix: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1546.0

CA's Vindaloo recipe: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3953.0

Replace CA's spice mix with Bruces's.

Don't put any sugar in the Vindaloo recipe.

Use only Spanish onions in the base, add 2 small potatoes and 1/2 the coriander.

Use only fresh garlic and ginger and not the stuff from jars in the supermarket own etc. If you must use jars use something like Natco.

Cook it right and you are a long way along the road to a very nice Vindaloo.

EDIT: You specifically asked for a Madras didn't you! - oops, well here is CA's Madras, same applies about the sugar though, but that's just personal taste: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3830.0

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:33 PM by solarsplace »

Offline redhotvindy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:31 PM »
Hi Solarsplace

Thats a great recomendation 8), I'm really looking forward to the weekend now as the wife is working most of it and I can get in the kitchen and stain everthing with turmeric without being told off :-X :-X :-X :-X

Will be following your suggestions and will post back my results

;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 12:51 PM »
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum my friend.

My advise would be (if it'snot too late) Try to pick a base that has a spice mix to compliment it.  This is where I would disagree with solarspace when he suggest's using CA's base with Bruce Edwards's spice mix!  Not that what SP is saying is wrong or anything, I just think that when trying out a recipe for the first time, you should use the recipe providers own recipes before you mix and match.

CA's base and spice mix are both excellent, and I very often switch between his and mine.  I have tried SnS's base which was also very good.

If you are in the "Oily Curry" brigade, as I am, then mine will give you very good results, as the base will release quite a few teaspoons of oil when cooking in your final dish.  If you feel that there is too much oil, just spoon out what you dont want but, do not throw it away!  Use this oil to start off your next curry.  For what ever reason, it just makes the next curry taste/smell so good.  You can almost see the velvet flock wallpaper and hear the magical sitar being played in your head ;D

Anyway, good luck Mark, and please, let us all know what you settled on and what end dish you made mate. 

Photo's would be great if you could?

All the best,

Ray :)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Hi

In hindsight, Razor is probably right. Perhaps I was getting a little carried away suggesting fairly large alterations to others recipes. After all, it would be hard for you to judge for yourself what works for you and what does not if its all modified to start with.

I suggested what I did, as personally I am achieving some really great results with the combination mentioned. But I got there after many months of cooking the recipes exactly as written and then modifying over time through experimentation and that is probably what you should do too.

Razors base is really good too! as TBH are virtually all of them on this site - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4596.0

Please post some pictures of your efforts and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:36 PM »
Hi redhot.. welcome to a feast of recipes... I agree with razor,  try CA`s base and madras how the recipe was laid out the after time alter to your taste..  you cant go wrong with CA`s recipes.. but do have a crack at the other recipes too as they are all top notch.

Andy

Offline redhotvindy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 12:50 PM »
Thanks all for a very warm welcome - really looking forward to getting my teeth into this!!!

Funny last weekend I just went around in circles with all the info and didn't actually produce any bases - like Razor & Fi5H mention and I think where I've been going wrong is not benchmarking a base then starting from there ? using the spice mix that goes with the base etc etc

So No 1 on the list this weekend is the CA base and madras - however I've been looking back through a series of post by 'ifindforu' on 'A good curry base' seems that the comments at the time were the ?real deal? can anyone confirm if this base is still worth a go or have things moved on since 2006 with say CA's base etc - eg would be better to use CA's method/base/spice????

Also had a buzzy in my spice cupboard and junked most of my spices and replaced with the best I could find locally

Whatch this space and I'll update some photo's next week

Thanks again - Mark

©2024 Curry Recipes