Author Topic: Aussie IR Lesson - Dum Aloo  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Masala Mark

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Aussie IR Lesson - Dum Aloo
« on: September 05, 2010, 06:44 AM »
Hi,

Here's another recipe using the pastes from the lesson I had with an Aussie IR chef.

It's a recipe based on a dish I had in Edmonton last year which I had not tried before in a IR.

The dish is called Dum Aloo, it was served as potatoes and peas in a very rich tomato, onion, nut sauce. It was quite different from traditional versions of the dish, in which whole potatoes are deep fried and are heavily fennel based, this was definately 'restaurant' style.

Using the Onion Gravy and Tomato Gravy pastes I was able to reproduce it last night, below is the recipe used.

Cheers,
Mark

Dum Aloo

Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp Ginger/Garlic puree (50:50)
- 2.5 heaped tbsp Onion Gravy Paste http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4923.0
- 2.5 heaped tbsp Tomato Gravy Paste http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4922.0
- 0.5 tsp Kasoori Methi
- 250 ml Water
- 3 tsp White Sugar
- 2 tsp Tomato Paste, heaped
- 1 tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 1.5 med Potatoes, quartered
- 0.25 cup Frozen Peas
- 100ml cream
- 0.25 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves

Prep Work:
- Pre-cook potatoes in 0.5 tsp turmeric and 0.5 tsp salt for approx 10-12min until just cooked, remove and rinse in cold water to stop further cooking, coat in a little oil and store in fridge
- Ginger/Garlic puree is made 50/50 rough ratio with a little water to aid processing
- Blend the Tomato Gravy with 50ml of water with stick blender to ensure fine paste

Method:
1. Heat oil
2. Add ginger/garlic paste and cook till just brown, stirring constantly using the back of the spoon to spread/mash/move it around
3. Add onion gravy paste, mix well through & saute a couple of mins, add 100ml of the water, when bubbling away add the frozen peas and cook a couple of mins
4. Add methi, tomato gravy paste, tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar, salt and mix through, add remaining 150 ml water and return to a simmer
5. Add potatoes and cook for 5 min
6. Add cream, mix through and simmer 2 min
7. Garnish with the chopped coriander leaves.

©2024 Curry Recipes