Author Topic: Wondering about BIR Chicken Tikka  (Read 35451 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Wondering about BIR Chicken Tikka
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 05:15 PM »
this sits real well with what i've experienced.
the post is real good though

Jerry - you risk polluting us all with your use of English. Why do you do it - using 'real' instead of 'really'?

Oh come on George, play fair. The lax (Americanised) grammar tends to annoy me too but Jerry's input on curry, which is what this is all about after all, more than makes up for his adoption of the tongue of the Great Satan!   ;) ;D

P.S. What really winds me up is the damned forum spell-checker constantly trying to coerce me into spelling things in an American way.  Grrrr!   >:(

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 05:23 PM »
The one time I actually saw tandoori chicken marinating in a BIR kitchen they had it in a large square catering pan sat on the floor of the kitchen...hmmm!

It was obviously of a runny consistency and it was after seeing this, a good while before joining this forum, that I started using more milk than yoghurt to achieve the same runny consistency. I still think the yoghurt should be used though to help tenderise the meat fibre.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 09:04 PM »
this sits real well with what i've experienced.
the post is real good though

Jerry - you risk polluting us all with your use of English. Why do you do it - using 'real' instead of 'really'?

Oh come on George, play fair. The lax (Americanised) grammar tends to annoy me too but Jerry's input on curry, which is what this is all about after all, more than makes up for his adoption of the tongue of the Great Satan!   ;) ;D

P.S. What really winds me up is the damned forum spell-checker constantly trying to coerce me into spelling things in an American way.  Grrrr!   >:(

SS - You may be right but I'm serious. Jerry misuses the word 'real' so often that we are likely to start picking it up. One could say that's the evolution of language.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:51 PM by George »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 11:44 PM »
SS - You may be right but I'm serious. Jerry misuses the word 'real' so often that we are likely to start picking it up.

Well I don't think I'll be using "real" where "really" is required any time soon George.

I'm intelligent enough to know the difference and to tolerate those that don't.

It's about curry George. Curry.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 08:38 AM »
George/Secret Santa,

i know i am very poor at english and have known this since school days. i think a midlands up bringing has also taken it's toll.

i can only apologise as there is no intent to cause upset.

what i miss on the arts side of my brain i more than make up for on the technical side.

spell checkers have been a really good invention as yes very poor on spelling too.

practical & numbers stuff is far more interesting in anycase ie science and engineering - without we would not be here.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 08:47 AM »
Real? Sorry, I just had to.  ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 09:57 AM »
When I first started trying the marinade on here and my own experiments, I considered that they were too thick. Over time, I have thinned the marinades down to help overcome what you have described.

I use cheap yoghurt rather than the thick Greek yoghurt but also use half as much and add double quantities of lemon juice and also lime juice. This thins the marinade out really well.

For cooking, I always cook tikka in a hot oven (250c). Cooking small pieces of meat in a very high heat cooks meat very quickly and leaves it juicy and succulent. The hotter the better, so a Tandoor will give great results.

The only time I have experienced tikka being tough or not to spec, is when it is lighted precooked and then reheated with as microwave before service. Yes I know, I was just as disappointed as well, especially cooking it fresh, doesn't take long.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 10:30 PM »
i know i am very poor at english and have known this since school days. i think a midlands up bringing has also taken it's toll.

I know it was rude and somewhat outrageous of me to have brought up the subject of your grammar. It's me who should apologise. The fact is, though, that there's hardly anything wrong with your written English, not that I'm an expert. It's just this very specific thing over real vs really.

When I was a teenager I travelled down to Morocco by train and met up with some Danes and other 'foreigners' on the ferry over from Spain.  I was amazed at how well they could speak English, even though it wasn't perfect. I recall one girl who used the expression: "It was absolute crazy".  That was many years ago. Last week, I heard an English guy use the same four words/expression on the radio. Is the English language under threat?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:08 PM by George »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 09:04 AM »
George,

i love u just as u are - there's never any need for apology.

English language under threat - texting abbreviations on phones and email is bound to take it's toll.

ps the english teacher i am sure like probably a lot of people label us as no hopes. the reality is of course that "maths" brainers tend to stay in work.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 09:11 AM »
English is always changing. In Old English were means man, and English is Aenglysc. It's changed over the years.

©2024 Curry Recipes