Author Topic: Wondering about BIR Chicken Tikka  (Read 35409 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Wondering about BIR Chicken Tikka
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 01:26 PM »
I think its down to what they use the tikka for.

For a starter they will chop the chicken first then marinade and cook fresh to order in the tandoor. For tikka to go in a curry it would make more sense to marinade whole breasts / strips and then slice them up once cooked.

Assuming BIR's are genrally trying to find ways to reduce costs and time it would make sense that they are watering down the marinade with milk. When it goes in a curry who could tell the difference?

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 03:34 PM »
Hey try this out first of all the chicken is noble or sardia brand from brazil ,but fresh breast should do ok try cooking on a barberque or put in the oven,but dont over cook it,leave it to finish cooking in its own heat,1 large tub of yogurt the family type size
1 teaspoon of spice mix,1 teasponn of methi,1 teaspoon of coalmans fresh garden mint 1 mug of mustard oil,1 cup of coriander,5 green chillies 1 teaspoon tikka paste,1 teaspoon of tandoori paste.some salt,yellow or red coulouring or both.and half teaspoon of kashmir masala  1 teaspoon garamasala use a hand blender and blend,follow this and you will have chicken tikka like the one at the take away I work in.

Hi ifindforu,

Are you the same person who used to post here years ago under the same name?

I'm not sure what size tub of yoghurt you mean, are you able to tell me its size in milliliters?

CM (veteran lurker  ;) )

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 09:25 PM »
Guy's,

Think I have mentioned this before but, my local TA (Pakistani owned) does a cracking tikka.  Their chicken tikka is pale yellow, really tender and very savoury.  Their Lamb tikka is a different beast all together.  It's quite sweet, red and has a minty undertone.  I'm pretty sure their Tandoori chicken is marinated in the same marinade as their lamb, but the fact that it's chicken gives it a very different flavour.  Quite clever on their part I think, to create three different flavours from two recipes.  They don't have a tandoor, they have a massive big grille plate, with extraction that could suck your wig off if you wore one, lol.

Incidentally, their tikka's and Tandoori chicken are all displayed in large fridges, pre-skewered and uncooked.  There is very little marinade on them, especially the chicken but the flavours are quite strong.

Makes me wonder if they are not just marinated in Tikka and tandoori paste with a bit of this and that thrown in.  What I would say though is, I don't think that they use yogurt.  The coating on the meat is too thin for yogurt to be included, or that's how it seems to me.

Ray :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 10:38 PM »
1 mug of mustard oil

Thank you for the recipe. Can you please let us know the brand of the mustard oil used at your take away? Does it have anything printed on the label like: 'not for internal consumption'?

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 12:42 AM »
Ray

I know what you mean, I don't think they use yoghurt at all. I think it's mostly paste, lemon dressing and oil.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 05:07 AM »
1 mug of mustard oil

Thank you for the recipe. Can you please let us know the brand of the mustard oil used at your take away? Does it have anything printed on the label like: 'not for internal consumption'?

I tried ifindforu's tikka recipe in the past. To me the mustard oil absolutely killed it. Almost inedible.

But... I since learned to temper it with high heat before using. It made a world of difference when I did JB's tikka.

Just a heads up on the mustard oil.

-- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 09:25 AM »
What I would say though is, I don't think that they use yogurt.  The coating on the meat is too thin for yogurt to be included, or that's how it seems to me.

this sits real well with what i've experienced. i've gradually reduced the amount of yogurt down to 3 tbsp.

on a general note i think ifindforu must have an error in scaling down as 1 mug of mustard oil is far too much - max for me is 2 tbsp.

the post is real good though as i've been twitching at what patak ratio's are needed having been disappointed with dippies but impressed with jb's. i intend to use ifindforu next on my tikka journey as the spec looks very good.

ps Solarsplace - picked up another post about tenderness. others disagree and that's fine but i find a difference in marinating tikka for 3 days as opposed to the standard 24hrs. may be work a try. i use frozen chicken and that could be why i need the extra time or the family are too discerning.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Hi

For a long time now, I have been making CA's Chicken Tikka and not really thinking about it because it is such a nice recipe taken it for granted that it is yummy, and instead concentrating on trying to perfect other main dishes etc.

I just suddenly started to realise that all the restaurants round my way now seem to be using Chicken Tikka in so many of their recipes that it seems to be more common to have Tikka in your dish than plain chicken.

Anyway, now moving in a Tikka thinking direction, I suddenly thought about how markedly different the BIR's tikka was from the Tikka I cook. It is remarkably tender, mine comes out tender but this is an extra tenderness. It is actually quite subtly coloured, but the main difference seems to be that it is almost like the marinade they use must be very thin and almost watery as there appears to be no for want of better terms Tikka crust layer, it is almost like the chicken has just been stained by the marinade there is no detectable coating just a little colour and obviously the flavour.

I'm wondering if it is even actually cooked in the tandoor? it has skewer holes through the pieces, but surely there would be some scorchings and slight shell to meat that has been in a tandoor?

Any thoughts on this? cheers all.
Hey try this out first of all the chicken is noble or sardia brand from brazil ,but fresh breast should do ok try cooking on a barberque or put in the oven,but dont over cook it,leave it to finish cooking in its own heat,1 large tub of yogurt the family type size 1 desertspoon garlic paste, 1 desert spoon of ginger paste
1 teaspoon of spice mix,1 teasponn of methi,1 teaspoon of coalmans fresh garden mint 1 mug of mustard oil,1 cup of coriander,5 green chillies 1 teaspoon tikka paste,1 teaspoon of tandoori paste.some salt,yellow or red coulouring or both.and half teaspoon of kashmir masala  1 teaspoon garamasala use a hand blender and blend,follow this and you will have chicken tikka like the one at the take away I work in.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 02:14 PM »
this sits real well with what i've experienced.
the post is real good though

Jerry - you risk polluting us all with your use of English. Why do you do it - using 'real' instead of 'really'?

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 02:27 PM »

What I would say though is, I don't think that they use yogurt.  The coating on the meat is too thin for yogurt to be included, or that's how it seems to me.

Ray :)

Hi Ray
I stiil tend to use yogurt in my marinade but thin this down with some oil and water, otherwise you get the problem you refer to where the marinade forms a rather unpleasant coating on the chicken.
Matt

©2024 Curry Recipes