Author Topic: Onion Bhaji Group Test  (Read 59041 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Onion Bhaji Group Test
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 07:59 AM »
I agree we should do them to spec. It will be hard knowing they could be cooked better but as you said that isn't the point of the test.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 09:54 AM »
I had a look at the recipes yesterday and decided the only way to do the test properly is to follow the recipes to the letter.

Can I assume that when we do CA's bhaji that we are to include the optional items as well? I am sure the answer is yes, but it doesn't hurt to confirm this.

As for DIP's, I intend to follow his recipe as demonstrated on the video, only in fairness, I will prepare the veg properly and cook as per the IG bhaji. I am sure he only cuts corners for the video demo.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Yes to the letter, and yes to the optional ingredients.

I know what you mean about dips, he was clearly in a hurry but we should try to make them the same size as he suggests.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 10:58 AM »
They do look rather big in the video, perhaps it is deceiving. I usually make my version of the IG Bhaji (with added fresh green chilli) to a handful. But looking at the video I wouldn't say they are as big.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Hi Guys

Are all of you going to use a deep fat fryer to cook your bhaji's?

I don't have one myself and was thinking to get one as I think cooking with a boiling pan of oil on the hob is really dangerous not to mention inconsistent with regard to the heat.

Don't suppose anyone could recommend a modestly priced one please?

Thanks

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 12:40 PM »
A wok that doesn't rock is useful for deep-oil frying, because it gets ever wider going from bottom to top.  So long as you don't overfill it (say, no more than 1/3 of its depth, but you can increase this with experience to maybe 1/2), the displacement of oil as you add the bhajis will be absorbed by the additional volume available at the top of the wok into which the oil is displaced. And if it does overflow and catch fire, don't panic : just turn off the heat, cover it with a wok lid, and the flames will eventually go out.  In no circumstances try to carry a flaming wok (or any other flaming cooking utensil) outside : horrible horrible accidents can occur if you try.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 01:03 PM »
Hi SP

By all means, use a good deep pan or a wok as Chaa suggests (some good safety tips in there too)  But as oil temp is crucial in these test, you would need to invest in a thermometer of some sort.

I believe a deep fat fryer would be your best and safest option though.  I think you can pick them up really cheap these days.  As long as they have a thermostat on them, your ok.

Ray

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 01:11 PM »
Hi Guys

Are all of you going to use a deep fat fryer to cook your bhaji's?

I don't have one myself and was thinking to get one as I think cooking with a boiling pan of oil on the hob is really dangerous not to mention inconsistent with regard to the heat.

Don't suppose anyone could recommend a modestly priced one please?

Thanks

For cheapest and nothing fancy that will do the job...
Sainsburys, Tesco or Argos, all about the 15 quid area,
Mick
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 01:57 PM by AchMal »

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 01:36 PM »
Tesco, Asda and the like sell really cheap deep fat fryers for very little cost. I paid

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 01:47 PM »
I use a saucepan and a sugar thermometer. You are only cooking at low oil temperatures so there is no danger of it igniting. Just make sure your hob has nice big sturdy stands on it (assuming it is gas). You wouldn't want it to tip over mid cook. What a waste of good onion!

©2024 Curry Recipes