Author Topic: Onion Bhaji Group Test  (Read 59062 times)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Onion Bhaji Group Test
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 02:03 PM »
Cheers for all the tips guys!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 02:25 PM »
I use a saucepan and a sugar thermometer. You are only cooking at low oil temperatures so there is no danger of it igniting. Just make sure your hob has nice big sturdy stands on it (assuming it is gas).

Hmm, it's terribly disrespectful to disagree with a moderator, but (IMVHO) hot oil  and lit gas don't mix, so even if you are cooking at low oil temperatures, if the oil overflows and reaches the gas flame, I would not be surprised if it were to catch fire.  Play safe, never let it overflow !

(I speak from bitter experience : I was cooking crispy and aromatic duck in Canada, in front of guests; on lowering the duck into a saucepan containing hot oil, the oil overflowed and the flames nearly reached the ceiling.  Never since then have I used a saucepan in which to heat more than a very small amount of oil, far less than 1/3 of its capacity).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:44 PM by Chaa006 »

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2010, 08:21 AM »
It's a good point but I was working on the assumption you would only have the pan a quarter to a third full. The bhajis only just need to be covered with oil and they float anyway so any more oil would be a waste.

I should have mentioned that on my post above - sorry if there was any confusion.

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 12:20 PM »
I take it this has to be done before the end of the month?

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Ideally, but it doesn't matter if it runs over a bit. I might try and get mine done this weekend as we are away the week after.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 12:50 PM »
As onions are the crucial element in this test I assume you'll all be using exactly the same variety?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2010, 01:14 PM »
As onions are the crucial element in this test I assume you'll all be using exactly the same variety?

It's a good point! 

I will be using bog standard, off the shelve brown onions.  I don't think that any of the recipes call for Red, white, or green, and I don't think that they specify country of origin either?  Si I assume that everyone will be doing the same?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 02:05 PM »
Probably the best thing to do is to agree on a supermarket that you all have access to and buy a particular brand from there. That will almost certainly ensure you are all using the same type.

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2010, 06:47 PM »
I buy mine from the Indian supermarket.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2010, 07:59 PM »
I wouldn't say that only one source of onions can be used across the board. However, I would say that it's important for the individual to use the same onions for all the recipes.

©2024 Curry Recipes