Author Topic: Darbari Rice  (Read 27135 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: DARBARI RICE.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 10:22 PM »
I have to admit Y fingers, i`ve never found Dabari Rice on the net & yes i did a search just in case i found the recipe ( no such dam luck !!).

Give it a try if it comes out like mine you`ll find its a very quick simple & tasty Rice dish which goes well with any Curry related food. :)

? ? ?DARTHPHALL..... 8)....
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:25 PM by DARTHPHALL »

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: DABARI RICE.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 11:45 AM »
Darth

I've just had another great success, thanks to you, your friendly restaurant chef and the presence of this website.

I made your dabari rice last night and it's definitely 'in the frame' as I would put it, for a BIR pilau rice. I left out the coconut (the dabari touch?) for my first attempt at what I hoped would be like pilau rice. It was. My first attempt might not have been the best ever pilau rice, but I've definitely had BIR take-away rice which was worse. The flavouring is near-perfect. It leaves all my earlier attempts at pilau rice in the shade, like from Curry Secret and Pat Chapman.

Thanks again
Regards
George

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 10:29 PM »
I`m very glad to be of service & also encouraged to see that others trying my recipes are achieving the level of success i am , together we will crack this nut wide open. ;)

All the best? ?DARTHPHALL..... 8).....

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 11:12 PM »
did you use 4 whole star anise in the recipe of "dabari rice" ?

Yes I did, and it's the focus of much of my interest in the aftermath of this successful first attempt. I say that, because the flavour and aroma was so close to most BIRs, that I don't see how you could leave it out. So next time, I will leave it out to prove or disprove my conspiracy theory that any recipe which does not include star anise is simply not honest to the BIR style which we all know and love. If I'm right and star anise cannot be left out of any plausible pilau rice recipe, then what secret ingredients are left out of recipes for base sauce and (stage 2) chicken madras, etc.

Regards
George

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 07:42 AM »
Hi George.
I have found Star Anise in my locals Vindalloo/Tindalloo on several occasions, hope this helps further.

? ? ? ?8) DARTHPHALL? 8)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 07:47 AM »
& i sincerely believe its an ingredient that is missing that stops my 99.9% clone being 100% right,hopefully soon now the season quietens i will get some tuition from my locals chef.

DARTH........ ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:23 PM by DARTHPHALL »

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2005, 09:08 AM »
Hi All,

I use this recipe myself and it is superb.
The recipe for this rice is almost the same as the Pilau Rice in the Balti Kitchen Video. Here is a modification I use from the Video which adds an extra boost to the rice and makes it a bit simpler to prepare.

Keep Darth's spice combo the same but to the rice add 1 oz of Butter or Ghee. Mix a little Red food colouring and a little Yellow food colouring in two seperate dishes with a couple of Tablespoons cold water.

Bring to a boil,turn heat to very low, cover and simmer for 10 mins. There is no need to test the rice. Don't lift the lid and don't stir the rice. Once it has had 10 mins leave for a further 5 mins. Drizzle the food colourings seperately in a cross shape. Gently fork the rice and serve.

The Butter adds that extra something and the spicing is superb.

Cheers Darth.

Regards

Ray

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2005, 10:04 AM »
Like the idea of adding Butter or Ghee.
I expect it adds a little flavor to the rice itself ?

DARTH.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:23 PM by DARTHPHALL »

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2005, 10:06 AM »
I have found Star Anise in my locals Vindalloo/Tindalloo on several occasions, hope this helps further.

Darth

It makes perfect sense. So why is star anise left out of so many recipes claiming to be authentic restaurant style pilau rice? e.g. no star anise in Kris Dhillon's 'Curry Secret'. I smell a rat!

Regards
George
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 12:29 PM by George »

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2005, 10:12 AM »
No probs mate, & yes i found it strange , but mentioned it ages ago but alas, no replies, if i find it in my Take-away Curry i`ll put it in mine its that simple( as long as its edible? ;D).

DARTH............
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:24 PM by DARTHPHALL »

©2024 Curry Recipes