Author Topic: Darbari Rice  (Read 27131 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Darbari Rice
« on: September 28, 2005, 09:42 AM »
I`m? re-posting this recipe/method as Ive made some changes to it & to make it more clear.
Please try ..& enjoy? :).

? ? Use only BASMATI RICE.
? ?
? ? I do this part after rice is done.

? ? The Spices.( enough for 4 dishes).
? ? 4 Cardamom Pods, 4 Star Anise,2 level Teaspoon cumin seeds,
? ? 4 pieces Cassia Bark,4 Bay leaves,8 Cloves.
? ? I separate into 4 small portions? in a suitable container with a lid & add to each, 1 half Teaspoon oil & half tsp of water & Mictowave for just under 30?
? ? seconds.You add to your cooked rice dishes mix in then sprinkle over the top a little desiccated coconut.? ? ?
?
? ?The Rice.
? 1. Get 2 pans & put half of the Rice in each pan(the amount of rice to make approximately 4 Take-away sized portions) .
? ? ?NOTE : Put one Teaspoon Turmeric in only one of the pans with the Rice & follow method below for both portions.
? ?2. Boil a kettle,pour boiling water over rice, stir immediately,bring to boil on cooker turn down straight away.
? ?3. Keep heat to steady low simmer.
? ?4. Keep STIRRING & tasting (you are actually testing the rice to see how cooked it is).
? ?5. A soon as its still slightly crispy in the center(this part you need to learn from experience but what you are trying to do is get to?
? ?the point were by the time you have taken from the heat rinsed in cold water it will be cooked right through with the residual?
? ?heat in the rice)
? ?6. sort into portions & add the cooked Spices,mix them in & sprinkle the Coconut over the top, let cool then freeze( keeps for?
? ?weeks).
? ?The biggets thing i have learned (& i cook rice 4/5 a week) is you never boil rice as by the time you think its cooked it carries on cooking until you cool it down ,so you always miss that point.also i find Basmati rice cooks so well .i use it for my Chinese & experimental dishes.
? ? ? ? ?Please let me know how yours turned out. :)

? ? DARTHPHALL..... 8).....?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:16 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DABARI RICE.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 07:14 PM »
sounds great. I tried your last version where you cool the rice and it works out really well. I reckon this must be similar to BIR as its so easy to microwave afterwards.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: DARBARI RICE.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 10:35 PM »
I use The Microwave to heat all my curries & Rices as I'm sure most Take-away`s do,Try it Blade & let me know what you thought. :)

? DARTHPHALL..... 8).....
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:25 PM by DARTHPHALL »

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 01:12 AM »
I use the spices in the rice much like Darth does , however  I cook the rice in the microwave...turns out perfect everytime (  much like a rice cooker only much faster & less mess )

CC

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 08:50 AM »
Another way to test the doneness of the rice is to take a grain and pinch it between 2 fingers - it there is still a little hard core in the middle, then you are done.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 08:58 AM »

I do this part after rice is done.

The Spices.( enough for 4 dishes).
    4 Cardamom Pods, 4 Star Anise,2 level Teaspoon cumin seeds,
    4 pieces Cassia Bark,4 Bay leaves,8 Cloves.
    I separate into 4 small portions  in a suitable container with a lid & add to each, 1 half Teaspoon oil & half tsp of water & Mictowave for just under 30 
    seconds.You add to your cooked rice dishes mix in then sprinkle over the top a little desiccated coconut.     

Darth

I look forward to trying this recipe. Thank you for posting it and for your R&D effort. Firstly, though, I've never heard of 'dabari' rice. Is it pilau rice + coconut? Are the spices you list the same ones for standard BIR pilau rice?

Also, when you say you "separate into 4 small portions" is that just the spices? No rice? Then you microwave the raw spices, oil and water alone for 30 seconds? No rice at this stage?

At the end of your recipe (6), you say: "sort into portions & add the cooked spices, mix them in & sprinkle the Coconut over the top, let cool then freeze".

But what then? How do you bring the frozen rice out of hibernation for reheating and serving, please?

Regards
George

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 09:37 AM »
Morning George. :)

To answer your queries.
 1.The spices are as my local BIR & as i posted. They do Pilau Rice as a totally separate Rice dish along side Dabari Rice & a few others which are really nice , i will try & copy them in the near future & post results ( i love Rice !!).
 2.Dabari Rice & Pilau Rice are very similar.
 3.Yes you are right i Microwave the Spices in 4 separate portions them add to the cooked Rice, i add the Dessicated Coconut
 when i re-heat to eat.
 4.I always let all my dishes defrost naturally, i find using the Microwave to Defrost tends to give an overcooked feel to Rice in particular & seems to degrade the curry ever so slightly.

Hope this answers your questions, feel free to ask any more & i look forward to hearing about your results.
?
? ?Your Curry Comrade DARTHPHALL..... 8).....

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 12:04 PM »
Darth

Thank you for the extra info. I just searched for "Dabari Rice" at google co.uk for uk results. There was not a single result, so it must be a bit of a speciality!

You no doubt explained in previous postings how to use the microwave to re-heat the rice just before serving and after a slow defrost. Is a slow microwave setting the best for the re-heat, would you say, for as long as it takes the defrosted rice to warm through? And do you leave all the spices in situ?

Regards
George

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 12:34 PM »
Hi George.

Yes i leave the Spices in whilst re-heating. I cook on full for 2 minutes ( 800 watt Microwave Oven)
 stir up the Rice, check its heated to desired temperature.
 When i have this dish i take out the whole Spices once i`ve put the Rice on the plate before?
 pouring Curry over it, as i do not like eating whole Cardamom, Cassia Bark etc..etc..
 Dabari Rice is i think made up by my localTake-away as i`ve not seen it anywhere else.
 Hope this helps.

DARTHPHALL..... 8).....

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 04:46 PM »
I tried to Google it too and there is very little information, however there is a reference to 'dabari yendi' which means ruined yendi, so it could mean ruined rice, perhaps the curry house is having a joke? ;D

However I also found a reference to it as being Hindu for a cylindrical copper or brass cooking vessel. So it would seem it just means rice cooked in a saucepan, which pretty much leaves it open to interpretation.

©2024 Curry Recipes