Author Topic: Darbari Rice  (Read 27128 times)

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DABARI RICE.
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2005, 12:10 PM »
p.s. Yellow Fingers, have you tried the recipe ?

I'm in a bit of a bind at the moment because my house is just about ready to go on the market. It's taken about four weeks to get rid of the curry house smell and until I sell I'm not going to do any more curry cooking. It's agony I can tell you.

However I will try this recipe and it goes on my list of other things I want to try, top of which are your 99% and 100% curries and CK's 'guaranteed to have the smell and taste' vindaloo and some of Pete's demos.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: DARBARI RICE.
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2005, 02:58 PM »
You are very wise, as i think on a documentary last week it was quoted that a funny smell in a house for sale is the third reason for not selling it. :(

DARTH............
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:23 PM by DARTHPHALL »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2005, 10:56 AM »
Hi Darth,

Ive scanned the thread but cant see how much rice you are adding, I guess around 12oz?

cheers

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2005, 01:38 PM »
Yes Ive tried the other way !!!
When you wash the Rice to cool it several times you rinse away all the taste so it becomes rather superfluous putting the Spices in at the begining.
Why would you want to cool it down?
If it's microwaved back, it actually improves it's fluffy texture
Or you could have it hot there and then
All the spiced water should be absorbed into the rice, that's why it's so nice
There should be no water left over
If there is, then you have used too much
Boiling the spices with the rice brings out their full flavour
Most restaurants also add a little garlic ginger puree to the water too

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2005, 02:09 PM »
I use my method as it works every time for me & the Rice is perfect,I've used the water absorbsion method & it ends up like the Take-away ...put it on the plate with the curry on top & as the rice sits & cools the water ends up coming back out the Rice (someone else mentioned this) i don't like this, i like my Rice just moist also it freezes better with lower water content as the high water content Rice once re-heated tends to have that over cooked look & breaks up because all the water in the Rice freezes & destroys the matrix of the Rice grain itself.? ;D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2005, 02:23 PM »
Mark I've never measured my Rice i just put enough in the pan to make about 6 portions.
So i would say if you use 12 oz for your portions then that would be fine. :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2006, 09:31 AM »
I recently mentioned on the 'pictures' section of this forum that the genuine BIR take away rice which I photographed and ate, was not as good as Darth's Dabari rice.

I attribute the fine flavour of the Dabari rice to the spices which are used.

I think my local BIR cut corners on the spices and, instead of (most) spices, used a small amount of butter ghee to flavour the rice. I prefer the flavour of fine spices to the tang of butter ghee. 

Increasingly, I'm changing my view from 'all BIR food is the same' to 'they're all a bit different' depending on which BIR you go to.

Darth's Dabari rice definitely tastes and looks like BIR pilau rice, but from one of the superior BIRs, not just any old BIR.

Regards
George

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2006, 11:54 AM »
Thanks George, i went to another Bir this weekend & had their Pilau Rice & yes my Dabari rice is similar but i found the Bir Pilau Rice very Greasy & definitely lacked that nice Spicy taste,even though the meal in general was good & i will go again as my local is shut for refurbishment? :( ( Re-opens middle of February? ;D).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:22 PM by DARTHPHALL »

Offline fxmarkets

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2006, 07:43 PM »

? ? ? ? ?Please let me know how yours turned out. :)

? ? DARTHPHALL..... 8).....?

Hi Darth,? big fan of this method mate, another batch underway now all prepped, points i'll add to the mix,? if anyone is stuck for measuring rice just use 3 handfulls per person (generous ones, you'll get the hang of it) i also split the ratio 75% plain 25 % yellow turmeric or colouring) Dont know about everyone else but i like the portion of yellow to white just right! 50/50 is too radical for me..... 25/75 now that is sexy...... lol.

seperate pans as darths method water just enough to cover up to boil then lowest heat if you can use a diffuser on top of stove then do that, keep an eye on it for a few mins, rinse and hold in cold until you are ready heat the spice oil as above add the rice and blast for a min or 2 until steaming, depending on how long the rice has been prepped before,

ohh i hold it in cold for about 20 mins then drain it together with yellow and heat in one batch with the oil mix as per darths method ,if people follow that.

hmmm wifes just come in and said it smells like a bloody curry house.......:)? so should be in for a good one all round? ?;)

cheers all, good curries....keep the faith, as if we need to.. 

fx.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 07:45 PM by fxmarkets »

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2006, 07:58 PM »
Thanks fx for your input matey? ;D.
It's good to see this method/recipe is still popular amongst forum members (aaahhh smug mode !! ;D).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:22 PM by DARTHPHALL »

©2024 Curry Recipes