Author Topic: That unique bombay potato taste  (Read 2458 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
That unique bombay potato taste
« on: September 14, 2010, 05:43 PM »
Just polished off yet another take-away,all very nice however the bombay potato was wonderful.Don't really know how to describe it but a real lovely flavour with that old-fashioned bombay potato taste if that makes sense(slightly sweet,sour maybe I can't put my finger on it).I keep wondering what they may have put in it.Could it be mango powder?? I've seen a few recipes calling for this(the Undercover Book suggests mango chutney but I doubt that) Or could it be panch poran???  I know very little about this spice but I remember reading a thread ages ago about it...has anyone used it???  I'd love to replicate this dish.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: That unique bombay potato taste
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Hi Jb, searching on the net I can see bombay potato recipes that contain mango powder and also recipes using panch phoran. Panch phoran is just a Bengali mix of five whole spices, usually in equal proportions. It is fried first in the oil to flavour it before adding other ingredients.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 06:18 PM »
Thanks Paul I'm just wondering what restaurants and takeaways use to get that flavour,my local denies all knowledge of either mango powder or panch poran so I guess it must be another of those trade secrets!!!

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 06:24 PM »
Hi JB
It is a fantastic dish, I love it too
Was this one not covered on your cooking course?
One takeaway, I know, precooks the potatoes in oil and a lttle water
They sort of fry and boil at the same time!?
That gives a very sweet result
Black cardamon is in with it too
But not very much (very strong flavour)

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 06:36 PM »
Hi jb
This is a lovely dish and certainly one of my favs to which I add Panch Phoram when making, because this spice is added as whole seeds you may be able to spot it in the dish, next time you have one, wqhich sounds like it  could be very soon. :)
Matt

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:01 PM »
Thanks guys I'll definately try some panch poran next time and see if it's the taste I'm after.Haldi It was covered in my cooking lessons,however the recipe my chef gave me was identical to Dipuraja's method(although if two separate chefs make it this way perhaps there is no magic ingredient!!).I asked my chef about mango powder and he said no he's never used it.I still feel though there is an underlying taste which I can't quite pinpoint.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 10:03 AM »
One of the closest times I've ever gotten towards that lovely BIR Bombay potato taste was when I used butter for frying the whole spices and I added mustard seeds which really helped.

©2024 Curry Recipes