Author Topic: Youtube resturant jafriezie  (Read 14155 times)

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Youtube resturant jafriezie
« on: September 18, 2010, 11:09 PM »
Hi all

you may have already seen this, but here's a link of cooking jalfriezie at planet spice indian resturant

observe all the smoke coming out of that pan!

Planet Spice Indian Resturant

atb
fishy

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Youtube resturant jafriezie
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:34 AM »
I reckon there's a bit of fibbing going on there...

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:44 PM »
fishy,

wow - my kind of place - BIR at it's best. my good lady has always wanted to go to the south and i'm going to have to keep this qt.

real interesting on the use of just curry power ie not mix powder. i use olive oil now and again (if i run out of reclaimed) - it works just as good as veg oil.

it's quite surprising (unless it's deliberate and i can only assume they are being honest) that there are no "special ingredients even the tom puree looks straight out the tin.

my only real observation is my base is much thinner and i get lots more smoke and get really annoyed with myself if i flame the pan - it uses up the oil too much 

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:24 PM »
real interesting on the use of just curry power ie not mix powder. i use olive oil now and again (if i run out of reclaimed) - it works just as good as veg oil.

He says curry powder Jerry but it is probably mix powder, he's not going to say mix powder because his audience wouldn't know what that is.

As for the olive oil, well, it'd be more believable if there wasn't a huge catering can of KTC veg oil clearly visible in the background.

i get lots more smoke and get really annoyed with myself if i flame the pan

That's almost certainly for show. He deliberately left the oil to really heat up so that when the GG paste was added flames were inevitable.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 09:52 PM »
Hi Fishy,

Thanks for the vid, I love this sort of thing.

I'm pretty sure that the peppers wouldn't have been cooked, and I don't think olive oil is a flavour that I would like in my curries. 

The chef mentioned vinegar when he was going through the ingredients, but I didn't see him put it in, or did I just miss that?

If that was typical of how they present their food, I'm guessing this is one of those place that like to charge a little more than other BIR's or IIR's in this case lol.

Good vid though, thanks again fishy.

Ray :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:00 AM »
i'll have base this week and feel i might just give this a go - nothing ventured.

on the olive oil u can't tell any difference in taste between it and veg.

ps i'm with Razor on this i won't be doing the nicely cut rose bud.

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 09:57 AM »
I have also converted over to olive oil (light version) in the last 6 months for health reasons and I can't honestly see the difference in taste, its perhaps not authentic BIR but with the amount of oil we consume in the gravy/curries I think it was a wise step :D

Rob.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 11:32 PM »
hi guys pride veg oil has no cholesteral in it! how good is that? ;D

regards
gary

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 08:58 AM »
i've written out a yellow sticky recipe now for this dish but have ended up a tad disappointed.

i've compared it to Admins Jalfrezi which i make a lot. the recipes are essentially the same albeit a few minor differences.

Admins has black pepper which i feel works well. it too does not have tom puree (which i know to be essential for this dish ie NO puree). the youtube has methi which although i'm now liking it's not across the range and i can't see it improving from Admin's dish.

on technique i would not flame the g/g and i tend to add all the powders in one go (they add each and stir before adding the next). i also add a little of the base with the spices to make sure they don't burn. i too add the base 1 chef at a time progressively (ie not all at once) and am confident this is the best approach to maximise the taste.

the only real difference is the suggestion to use curry powder in place of mix powder. this is suggested in that undercover book. i know members who i completely trust believe  only mix powder is used and curry powder is a red hearing (myth).

i'll have to do a side by side to prove it one way or the other. i already tend to believe that it is mix powder as this is an area that my local TA chef will not discuss - if curry power on it's own was used then i think he would say so.

i will also just for peace of mind copy cat the utube approach of getting the oil v.hot before adding the g/g paste. i'm sure i've tried this in the past but it's worth repeating. i use their recipe to spec and compare with Admins as a head to head

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 12:09 PM »
If it really was olive oil though Jerry you couldn't get it that hot without ruining it surely?

©2024 Curry Recipes