Author Topic: Youtube resturant jafriezie  (Read 14157 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Youtube resturant jafriezie
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 09:01 AM »
If it really was olive oil though Jerry you couldn't get it that hot without ruining it surely?

Vindaloo-crazy,

u can't tell any difference between veg oil and olive oil when frying it for curry. i even use it for omelet (for the kids). alas i'm off the omelette's down to watching cholesterol - hence how i came to use olive oil so much in cooking generally. i buy in the big tins so price is not that much more than veg oil.

please note that i only use olive oil for frying when stuck - i use veg oil all the time normally as i reclaim it from the base

pic of reclaim oil and utube jalfrezi recipe

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 09:06 AM »
It's pricey stuff too Jerry, I'm surprised the taste doesn't come through; must be all the spices?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 09:14 AM »
i cooked the utube jalfrezi and admins jalfrezi side by side last night (Nb i used mix powder in both so utube was technically not to spec calling for curry powder - see below). i think either the methi or utube sequential spice frying technique caused the dish to be darker than i would normally produce (i use 1 chef of base to fry the spices and add them all in 1 go)

the taste of both dishes was very close - restaurant quality for sure. we preferred the Admin recipe but lovers of methi would go for the utube.

i then cooked admins jalfrezi with mix powder and admins jalfrezi with curry powder side by side. the dishes were surprisingly very close.

a bit of a shock though - we preferred the curry powder dish at it seemed to bring out the taste of the other ingredients better. i need to try curry powder out on a few more dishes as the result could have just been fluke.

Admins Jalfrezi LHS - Utube RHS

Admins Jalfrezi made with Mix Powder LHS - Admins Jalfrezi made with Curry Powder RHS

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 09:18 AM »
They look great. Doesn't the undercover book advocate curry powder not mix powder?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Vindaloo-crazy,

yes - it must be the spices that stop the olive oil taste coming through - i only use cheep stuff (7? for 5L).

yes - the undercover book does i believe suggest curry powder - as i say quite a shock to me and needs a few others to give it a try and confirm or otherwise.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 09:24 AM »
God, that's cheap, the stuff costs an arm and a leg over here!

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Jerry, I don't want to put you off using whatever oil you wish but have a quick look at this link about olive pomace oil http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/faq/pomaceoilfaq/
its a bit off putting IMO :(

Rob.

edit: just noticed it references Spanish oil so you are probably safe if its produced elsewhere

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 12:19 PM »
I have noticed, not only in this video but others from the kitchens in the BIR`s that they use the same amount of spices for one portion as we would use for a 2 or more.. any thoughts on that...

Online Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Jerry, I don't want to put you off using whatever oil you wish but have a quick look at this link about olive pomace oil http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/faq/pomaceoilfaq/
its a bit off putting IMO :(

Blimey! That does sound quite bad.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 12:52 PM »
Fi5h, I don't reckon this is for real. It's just a show clip to advertise the restaurant.

©2024 Curry Recipes