Author Topic: Youtube resturant jafriezie  (Read 14286 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Youtube resturant jafriezie
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Just to add about the use of olive oil, it should not be used to fry at high temperatures. This was something I picked up from James Martin in one of his cooking shows. Apparently it can become harmful at high temperatures.

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 05:47 PM »
If it really was olive oil though Jerry you couldn't get it that hot without ruining it surely?

Vindaloo-crazy,

u can't tell any difference between veg oil and olive oil when frying it for curry. i even use it for omelet (for the kids). alas i'm off the omelette's down to watching cholesterol - hence how i came to use olive oil so much in cooking generally. i buy in the big tins so price is not that much more than veg oil.

please note that i only use olive oil for frying when stuck - i use veg oil all the time normally as i reclaim it from the base

pic of reclaim oil and utube jalfrezi recipe

Hi JerryM

Ive been making curries and base using only olive oil for many years.

Also did back to back comparisons re conventional oil both on same base and finished dish - result, couldnt tell the difference.

O oil is fortunately cheap here in Turkey, so health benefits are immense if eating curries almost every second day

The secret is to use standard NON virgin oil, as the virgin oil is too heavily flavoured

Cheers All   8)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 06:31 PM »
I don't want to put you off using whatever oil you wish but have a quick look at this link about olive pomace oil

canicant,

appreciate the heads-up. i've email KTC to ask for countires of origin as no details on tin.

ps have now looked at tin and realise it's blended with veg oil - olive pomace 50%, veg oil 50% - amazing just goes to show the devils in the detail. answers the question on why it works so well.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 06:39 PM »
I have noticed, not only in this video but others from the kitchens in the BIR`s that they use the same amount of spices for one portion as we would use for a 2 or more.. any thoughts on that...

i'm on the same thought pattern - i'm sure in general we are using too much - BIR is actually very lightly spiced. i'm currently using as std 1 tsp per 200ml finished portion and it seems ballpark right. i do keep thinking of trying less  but spoons ideally dictate reduction to 1/2 tsp which i think may be too small amount. i'll try 1/2 tsp on next curry night.

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 06:44 PM »
I don't think they would dare to use Spanish oil Jerry so I wouldn't worry too much.

I use pure but not virgin olive oil and it doesn't seem to impart any adverse flavour to my curries (apart from the price) so I think unless your really anal about BIR then it won't matter which oil you use :) and especially once its spiced/reclaimed, plus it allows me to eat curry without cholesterol guilt LOL

Rob.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 07:37 PM »
Jerry,

Excellent work again my friend.  Much appreciated by one and all.  With that said, your side by side test does throw up more questions than answers for me I'm afraid.  For example; (forgive the assumption) I'm guessing that you used the same base for each dish?  in which case, the base must have more of an effect on the final taste than I initially thought.

Next, curry powder V mix powder.  Although they are both masala's, they should produce a very different flavour in the end dish.  Judging by your comments, they seemed to be very close in taste?  Again, this point me towards the theory that the base has the biggest impact on the dish than any other ingredient, a theory that I didn't believe so much previously.

confused.com or what :P

Thanks for the hard work though Jerry, it's great for the forum that you work 'real' hard on these experiments ;)

Ray :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 08:21 AM »
Hi Jerry

The currys looked great but a lot wetter than the video. Did you add extra base in your version? This could have quite a dramatic effect of diluting the spices.

for me, the most interesting thing in the video was the garlic naan. As a rough estimate there must have been 4 - 5 cloves of garlic on that naan. It's no wonder I struggle to get the garlic taste in mine when I only add 1 - 2. I was surprised at the amount of coriander too, and the fact he used egg to bind the garlic and coriander to the naan. All in all a very good video. I'll be trying the recipes soon too.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 08:32 AM »
Razor,

i did use the same base for each dish. the base was mytake down to the small batch size that i wanted and it also seems to suit experimentation (evolved from CA's base development work) (for info i use rajver and saffron when i need more volume - these being down to personal preference - i like quite a few other bases just the same i term it "threshold" ie CA's, Ifindforu, ashoka etc).

u're base is equally as good as any of the 3 i use - i made your base to spec in terms of ingredient and proportion. i can't remember but i think i would of cooked it by my std method. i would also have made it thinner by adding water. other than this it would be exactly as u make it. in short if u feel the base needs looking at then i would not change ingredient or proportion but maybe look at method.

sorry i was not clear enough on the CP v MP. the taste was very different. the closeness comment was that we could not really decide which we liked best. we think it was the CP  which was quite shocking. i need to cook a few more dishes really before i can draw any conclusions.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 08:45 AM »
The currys looked great but a lot wetter than the video. Did you add extra base in your version? This could have quite a dramatic effect of diluting the spices.

chriswg,

curry for me has got to have sauce. i think he added 4 chef or 240ml. i added 300ml. i think the difference is that he let the liquid evap off more between spoonfulls (i add mine as soon as the heat returns to the pan).

in my comparison both dishes tasted of similar spice. the difference was purely in taste. the utube version is as i've eaten in BIR restaurant outside the midlands - i would locate it to Bradford or some restaurants on Manchester curry mile. it's the methi that changes the dish - only subtly but if u're not used to it u pick it up immediately. i have grown to like methis but follow dippies practise of cooking it hard. i did not do this and maybe the restaurant do when cooking for real. the video is a bit like dippies for me - it's not during service. the utube dish i made was a copy cat of the video. admins was by my std method.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Jerry, I don't want to put you off using whatever oil you wish but have a quick look at this link about olive pomace oil http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/faq/pomaceoilfaq/
its a bit off putting IMO :(

Rob.

Olive Pomace/Pom(Palm)olive, ring any bells???

Regards
CoR

©2024 Curry Recipes