Author Topic: spiced oil in base  (Read 18344 times)

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: spiced oil in base
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2010, 09:14 AM »
Be better with the quotes I reckon...

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Just google these 2 strings without the quotes:

"BIR Base Grabbi by Pete"

"Petes onion paste / spice fused oil"

It is free public information that Pete (sced) has kindly published.

Paul

Thanks Paul, interesting reading

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Well folks
I used this oil in some fried rice and it's amazing for that!
I've tried it in a base too, but I got too spiced out to know if it's worked 100%
I'll report back when I try it
One thing I am sure of, is that it is not the same as the old oil, that goes in bases I've seen
It has a totally different aroma
Far more fresh

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 02:35 PM »
Hi Haldi,

The spiced oil is working well for me and has definitely lifted my curries to a newer level.
In hindsight I have not followed Pete's recipe to the letter because:

1) I didn't use quite as much spice mix, probably 4 tablespoons versus Pete's 6 tablespoons.
2) I didn't use the strongest, most flavoured oil containing the residue of spices for the base sauce, I just used the spiced oil that was clear of spice debris.
3) I didn't use a spice ball with GM type whole spices in the oil to be used for the base as I didn't have a spice ball. I have bought one since.

My oil is more of an orange/yellow colour compared to the photos of Pete's which is much more red.
I intend to experiment more with this as I believe that it may be the answer to my curry prayers. I've even bought a frying thermometer so I can experiment with the temps. I guess there is a possibility of burning the spices which would create quite a waste.

I'm a bit surprised that cr0 members have expressed so little interest in what may be a breakthrough technique, but I guess by my making reference to the other forum I've done the equivalent of dropping a stinky fart in a small lift full of people. Apologies if I have offended anyone by making such a reference but I thought this was too important to be petty about.

Paul

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2010, 02:57 PM »
Hi Paul,

I'm a bit surprised that cr0 members have expressed so little interest in what may be a breakthrough technique

I don't think that it's down to lack of interest, I've used spiced oil in the past and yes, I do believe that it lifts the dish to the next level.  I think the lack of enthusiasm is probably due to the fact that it is not a proven BIR technique, as confirmed by the East webcam and the Malik webcam.

I also think that the method put's members off.  If your gonna spend time in the kitchen cooking, generally, you want something to eat at the end of it.

If it's spiced oil that you want, and I mean really flavoursome, BIR smelling oil, simply add way too much to your final dish.  Turn off the heat when done, and spoon off the excess oil.  Strain this through kitchen towel and a sieve and store in the frifge for next time.  I use this method to great effect and I know that Secret Santa does also.  In Santa's own words "It's curry gold"

Ray :)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2010, 03:48 PM »
Hi Ray,

I would agree that this is not probably what most BIRs do, i.e. specifically produce spiced oil as a process. Although the guys that Pete spoke to during their fag break alluded to the fact that they do make spiced oil as a separate process.

I think the spiced oil is probably a by product in most BIRs whether it comes from cooking a huge pot of base that may last for days, or spooning excess oil from curries back into the pot, or using bhaji oil or any other of these methods.

I think it's true though that it is an important element of the BIR taste and if you just cook a home-sized standard base with fresh oil and cook a standard curry using fresh oil again you won't be able impart enough flavour in the curry to match general BIR flavours.

Cheers

Paul

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 04:51 PM »
Hi Paul,

I think your spot on, I believe it's a by product from their base.  I don't think that they would spoon it from finished dishes, as the spice level in the oil would vary from dish to dish.

There is also the fact to consider that, each BIR will have it's own unique method, so the guy's that you spoke with on their ciggie break will, no doubt be correct, for their own gaff.

It does add something to the dish though, there is no doubting that fact whatsoever.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2010, 05:35 PM »
I would go along with the current consensus : ever since I started using recycled oil (at all stages), there has been a significant improvement in flavour.  W.r.t. the hypotheses as to whether BIRs make it as a separate process or as a by-product, I would incline to the latter.  I think we all agree that an excess of oil is needed to make a good curry, and no BIR in its right mind is going to discard that oil as waste, so my bet is on "skimmings" becoming the recycled oil for the next batch.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2010, 12:37 PM »
just read that grabbi post by pete, very interesting. it wouldnt suprise me if this is what goes on in some bir kitchens. it would account for the chicken taste in the real bir base i once purchased. any cr0 members tried this technique by pete? is it worth all the effort?

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2010, 12:47 PM »
just read that grabbi post by pete, very interesting. it wouldnt suprise me if this is what goes on in some bir kitchens. it would account for the chicken taste in the real bir base i once purchased. any cr0 members tried this technique by pete? is it worth all the effort?

Hi

Chicken taste? not quite sure where you are getting that from?

Apart from that though, I have just made a second batch of the oil myself and my personal opinion is that it is a magnificent discovery and intend to keep using it too!

EDIT: The effort required to make the spice oil is actually very small, the biggest pain in the ass is chopping the onions. Your best bet is to give it a go, the cost is only 2 or 3 pounds. Just be extra careful not to burn the spices at the end or the whole thing will have been a waste of time!

Cheers

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:31 PM by solarsplace »

©2024 Curry Recipes