Author Topic: spiced oil in base  (Read 18336 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: spiced oil in base
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2010, 01:42 PM »
I'm due to make my second batch soon. For me it has worked very well and I intend to carry on using this spiced oil and onion/pepper paste. The preparation is probably a bit less time/effort than making a base although you still have to make a base gravy as well, of course.

Regarding the chicken flavour, this comes from using the oil to pre-cook your chicken.
Pete (sced) makes reference to this in his posts. This I haven't tried yet.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2010, 02:55 PM »
ok guys i am sold on trying this. cheers

Offline madstwatter

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2011, 04:19 PM »
I have knocked up some of Sced's spiced oil and will try with Dips Base and Madras tomorrow. I heated a little of the oil in a pan and got the most intense bir smell I have ever had at home. There is a very gentle bir taste as well but I anticipate this will intensify in the base and finished madras.

Offline madstwatter

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2011, 04:00 PM »
Used the oil in my base and Madras and I must say that I am really impressed and gave a much deeper and more complex flavour than using normal veg oil. I think I need to tweek a few things when making the oil next time but I am definitely on the right path.
The oil was a browny colour rather than the expected red but I only cooked the spices in the oil for 15 minutes so may increase cooking time.

©2024 Curry Recipes