Author Topic: Manchester City center BIR  (Read 12852 times)

Offline Paul1980

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Manchester City center BIR
« on: September 22, 2010, 03:07 PM »
I am going to Manchester for the weekend in 3 weeks can anyone recommend a good BIR from past experience?
I am staying next to Piccadilly square so right in the center.

Thanks

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester City center BIR
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 09:19 AM »
That'll be one for Razor, he's a Manc; PM him...

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:48 PM »
Hi Paul,

Yep, as VC says I'm a Manc but I don't really bother with curry houses in town.  A friend of mine recently visited the Shalimar Restaurant and she said that it was really good.  The Shalimar is situated in the Northern Quarter (in between Picadilly and the M.E.N) on High Street.  The Northern quarter is an awesome area for cafe bars, restaurants of all different nations, ranging from Brazilian, to Iranian, to Malaysian, to well,,,,,,anything really.

You could also try the curry mile on Wilmslow rd in Rusholme but, you can easily become overwhelmed by the sheer amount of restaurants there, and there is no guarantee that you will pick a good one.  It's gone down hill a bit over recent years.

One that I use more than the others is The Mughli.  I'm not saying that it's the best curry that you'll ever eat but, I've never been disappointed with them.  Quite an extensive menu too.

Are you actually staying in the city centre Paul,  or outside it?  Let me know, and I may be able to suggest something better for you.

Ray :)

Offline timeless

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 04:02 PM »
Have been to the Grand Buffet on Whitworth St it was terrible wouldn't recommend it.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 07:02 PM »
Paul1980,

can't help on the ctr. went to the gaylord once which was very good but i don't think it's there anymore.

if u have wheels then hilal is well worth a visit. i've only been to the one in warrington but Timperley is the HQ so should be just as good.

link http://www.hilalrestaurant.co.uk/

seven spices from the currycouncil looks worthy too given the gaylord connection
http://www.currycouncil.com/2008/01/seven-spices-restaurant-cheadle-hulme.html

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 12:56 PM »
From Piccadilly Gardens you are only a couple of minutes walk from Chinatown, top food even if it isn't Indian.

Cheers
CoR

Offline Paul1980

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 01:15 PM »
I am staying at the Britannia in the center next to the train station. I will give the Northern Quarter a go as I would like to have an Indian one night and something else the other.
Do you know of any good late night bars Razor? or must do's when visiting Manchester?
Cheers

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Hi Paul

The obvious must do; visit the theatre of dreams, get on the museum tour and see why everyone hates us hahaha ;D

Obvious not to doo's;  Keep away from the City of Manchester Stadium, or as we call it, the Council Tax Stadium.  Nothing to see or do there, empty trophy cabinets aren't much to look at ;)

As for bars, depends what your after really mate?  Get yourself in the Printworks, smack next to Victoria station, can't go wrong in there.  Allsorts to do, bar's, restaurants, cinema.  Little bit pricey, but so is most of central Manchester.

If you get over to the Oxford street area, near the Uni, there are loads of little venues, catering for the student budget, like comedy stores and places for new up and coming bands.  You just have to look for them or follow some spotty long haired student, who stinks of 'Joop'  (Why do they wear that stuff?)

Canal street (not my cup of tea) is highly amusing and full of colourful character's.  Yeah it's in the gay village, but the majority of people who go there aren't gay, and everyone seems to have a good night?  Just got to be open minded, and expect the unexpected lol.

It really depends on what kind of night your after, if you can let me know that, then I can be a bit more specific for you.

Let us know how you get on mate.

Ray :)

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 05:31 PM »
Oh my god - who recommended the Hilal?

Garbage if you really appreciate authentic asian cuisine.

I have been in twice - with a 20 year gap in between - and it was still crap.

OK I suppose if you don't know any different 1!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:36 PM »
Oh my god - who recommended the Hilal?

Garbage if you really appreciate authentic asian cuisine.

I know nothing about this particular restaurant but where does 'authentic asian cuisine' come into it? Most people want BIR which is about as far from that as you can get.

©2024 Curry Recipes