Author Topic: Manchester City center BIR  (Read 13033 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester City center BIR
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 05:44 PM »
Oh my god - who recommended the Hilal?

Ghoulie,

i can only vouch for the one in warrington. clearly you are not a fan of BIR.

i've been in it for well over 20 yrs on a regular basis and as i'm sure you really already know - it's not crap.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 05:45 PM »
even before I was introduced to the real stuff in the middle east ('76-'84) - I tried the Timperley  Hilal - and it was garbage compared to the other Indian restauarants at the time and here i am talking pre 1975 !! (Hlilal Timperley was opened 1969 - a very poor 2nd to the Taj Altrincham which I vsisted in @ 1963 - so my 'indian palate' goes back a fair ways)

Seems to me nowadays - any Bangladeshi who has done a stint as a waiter and can raise a few bob in his community will try and open his own restaurant or takeaway with the one sauce sorts out all approach - not for me thank you SS - I want a good meal when i go out - and the more authentic the better - and I don't mean the michelin star nouvelle cuisine Dilli Altrincham approach either - far too prententious now - BUT - when it 1st opened - excellent - and soon after - within a year - off on the 'nouvelle' tangent

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Jerry - not tried the Warrington one - and don't intend to.  I hear there is a very good Indian at Stockton Heath which I may check out.

Akrams Oasis in Rusholme was good while it lasted ( I knew Akram personally and if you asked for Asian cuisine there - you got it !)- sadly Akram went bust - maybe too many fingers in too many pies and a lot of 'personal' problems.

It is incorrect to say i am not a fan of BIR - I just prefer the good ones as opposed to the rubbish ones where everything tastes the same - or they take lazy short cut chances - the one at the end of my road used to do a brilliant dish - chicken with minced lamb  in a very tasty sauce - the minced lamb has now become  pieces of scrunched up seekh kebab - nothing like the same - and another one not to visit in my book

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 06:14 PM »
I just prefer the good ones as opposed to the rubbish ones where everything tastes the same

Ghoulie,

i can very much relate to this. i only rate 2 off TA for example in warrington. not aware of better restaurant in Stockton Heath but it's now a different place with lots of new restaurants, bars, loud music.

the trouble is as you point out - it is becoming much harder to find genuinely good BIR's and even when you do the consistency tends to often drop off.

never really rated Rusholme - always felt you needed word of mouth. had 1 very good curry and at least 3 off poor all from different establishments. we no longer travel for curry down to fear of disappointment.

only recent venture was to billycat's Heswall Tandoori which did not disappoint - so they do exist - just too many imposter's obscuring the view.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 07:53 PM »
i've been in it for well over 20 yrs on a regular basis and as i'm sure you really already know - it's not crap.

A nicely executed kick in the Ghoulies there Jerry!   ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:07 PM by Secret Santa »

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 11:13 AM »
now SS - you wouldn't want to be doing that I can assure you - as a long time biker I have been round the block more than a few times and handle those situations as required as and when they occur - and as a recent (27.10.10) ?s donator to this site in deference to the good work / words  here - would prefer a little more respectful response to my posts

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 11:40 AM »
as a long time biker I have been round the block more than a few times and handle those situations as required as and when they occur

And here, by way of proof, is a video of some of the 'ardest bikers you will ever see :
http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/georges-blog/back-in-my-day/5720.html

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 06:17 PM »
as a long time biker I have been round the block more than a few times and handle those situations as required as and when they occur

And here, by way of proof, is a video of some of the 'ardest bikers you will ever see :
http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/georges-blog/back-in-my-day/5720.html

Never understood that sport. Why use a bike when you're pushing or carrying it most of the time?  ???

I can easily do that terrain on my mountain bike and probably never come of once...albeit at a slower pace.   :P

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 06:24 PM »
now SS - you wouldn't want to be doing that I can assure you - as a long time biker I have been round the block more than a few times and handle those situations as required as and when they occur - and as a recent (27.10.10) ?s donator to this site in deference to the good work / words  here - would prefer a little more respectful response to my posts

As you're a newbie Ghoulie I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you overlooked the smilie at the end of my sentence. Wouldn't want to get off on the wrong foot would we?

Oh, and if you want to know what I think about bikers, see South Park season 13 episode 12  (title: The F Word). Pretty much sums 'em up.  ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 03:18 PM »
Secret Santa,

you can't be from the midlands. there you can't grow up without a liking for 3 cylinder jobbies (not kettles) and the later 4 stoke versions, mini's and of course curry.

ice was always the biggest problem i found.

©2024 Curry Recipes