Author Topic: Evaporation, reduction how much?  (Read 2256 times)

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Evaporation, reduction how much?
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:27 AM »
This has probably been covered before but earlier on this week I made a basic quick chicken tikka curry (not ctm), however this time I changed my method and added the preheated base very slowly allowing it to reduce/evaporate right the way back before adding more, this I did until I ended up with a very thick darkish caramelised curry.
What amazed me was the savoury taste it was delicious and my question is does anyone else do this with their curries?

Rob

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Evaporation, reduction how much?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 11:38 AM »
I tend to add the base in two stages. The first is after I've added the spices and chicken and the second is near the end wherein I add the remainder of the base portion. I then reduce it down to a consistency I like. I like to have plenty of sauce.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 01:46 PM »
This has probably been covered before but earlier on this week I made a basic quick chicken tikka curry (not ctm), however this time I changed my method and added the preheated base very slowly allowing it to reduce/evaporate right the way back before adding more, this I did until I ended up with a very thick darkish caramelised curry.
What amazed me was the savoury taste it was delicious and my question is does anyone else do this with their curries?

Rob

I certainly do, particularly for dishes like Bhuna that require extra savouriness.

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:04 PM »
I also normally reduce the first portion of base then add more towards the end but this was on a whole different level as I added the base a chef spoon at a time and didn't add any more until the previous lot had gone thick and very caramelised, so much so that I thought I was on the cusp of burning it each time.

My thoughts are that I am going to go down the same route next time but add just enough at the end without reduction to give plenty of savoury sauce and yes, SS it would be ideal for a more dry dish like bhuna so that's one for me try this way as well.

Rob.

©2024 Curry Recipes