Author Topic: Bombay Aloo shoot-out JB vs Dipuraja  (Read 3167 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Bombay Aloo shoot-out JB vs Dipuraja
« on: September 28, 2010, 01:14 PM »
I was bored at lunchtime so I decided to have my first proper go at Bombay Aloo. I used JB's Aloo Saag recipe but left out the spinach, and pitted it against Dipuraja's. I'm afraid we ate it all before I thought about taking photos but I'm sure everyone knows what it looks like.

Some of the big differences were Dipuraja - 0.5 tsp g/g paste and 1 tbsp tom puree, JB - 1 tsp tom puree and 1 tbsp g/g paste. Dipuraja also adds methi leaves and a pinch of chilli powder, JB adds green pepper and coriander stalk which didn't really add a lot and I don't remember seeing in the local BIR bombay aloo. I guess some do and some don't.

Taste wise they were both excellent (apart from the potatoes which needed about another 3-4 mins boiling). Dipuraja's was a bit stodgier, mainly due to the amount of tomato puree added. I did like the extra dimension that the methi added. JB's probaby just edged it taste wise as everything was slightly more balanced and it tasted really nice without being overpowering. I think the extra g/g paste really came through and gave it a lovely taste. I was using the undercover base which has lots of hing in it so this might have helped bring out the garlic taste too. I fried the g/g paste until it started to go golden before adding the other stuff. I find this is essential for getting that BIR flavour. My wife helped me eat them both with a big pile of poppadums. She is usually by harshest critic but even she liked them both and said they tasted similar to the ones from the takeaway - high praise indeed!

In future I'll be using the JB recipe but I'll add in the pinch of methi to get the best of both worlds.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bombay Aloo shoot-out JB vs Dipuraja
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 05:54 PM »
Hi Chris,

Good work!  That is exactly how I came up with my seekh kebab recipe.  I pitted my original version against some of the other good ones knocking about, and incorporated what I thought was the best bits.

As for Methi, I can't get enough of the stuff lately.  The savouriness and aroma that it adds to the dish, is what makes me think 'BIR'

Why not post the recipe with the changes you've made, on the forum, and include links to JB's and DIP's?

Nice job Mukka,

Ray :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 10:13 AM »
As for Methi, I can't get enough of the stuff lately.  The savouriness and aroma that it adds to the dish, is what makes me think 'BIR'

You get no argument from me on that one.

Mixing recipes up a little can be a very good way of finding something  really good. Having bought jars of paste for the kebab test, I have been trying to use them up. Bumped into a really good Tandoori marinade by mixing pastes together.

I must get round to trying JB's recipe.

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:38 PM »
Chris,
Can you put a link to both original recipes on here.

Matt

©2024 Curry Recipes