Author Topic: Takeaway Bhuna Recipe  (Read 37377 times)

Offline RivalSavage

• Chef
    • View Profile
Takeaway Bhuna Recipe
« on: October 03, 2010, 11:41 PM »
Hi, new to the site and loving it all. This is a recipe  I obtained 25 years ago from my local takeaway and it never fails. The methods and one particular ingredient aren't what I have seen elsewhere so please give it a try. My missus loves this and I swear I can cook it with my eyes closed!

Bhuna

Ingredients:

A quarter pint of oil
Cooked ingredient of choice, chicken or whatever or raw prawns
1 teaspoon each of Cumin, Coriander, Cayenne, Turmeric, Garam Masala. Mixed into a stiff paste with a little water
1 heaped tablespoon tomato puree
5 cloves garlic chopped and mashed into a paste
1 chopped green pepper
1 large onion, halved top to bottom then sliced into thin segments
2 chopped fresh tomatoes
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1 handful of methi leaves
1  teaspoon Rose Water
Fresh coriander to garnish

Instructions:

In a Wok or Karai heat oil over medium heat  then fry tomato puree and garlic puree for 2-3 mins till oil colours but take care not to brown garlic. Add onions and chopped green pepper and fry till softened, stirring all the time.

Add spice paste and fry 2 mins then add fresh tomatoes and fry 2 more mins.

Add chopped tinned tomatoes and 1 teaspoon salt and fry 3-4 mins, stirring all the time.

Add cooked meat or prawns and fry one minute.

Place methi leaves in one palm and rub together with other to bruise, then add to dish.

Add 1  teaspoon Rose Water and continue to fry till sauce thickens .

Finally add chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve.

Hope you enjoy this, the sauce is garlicky and to die for!

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Takeaway Bhuna Recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:58 AM »
Thanks RS, at first glance I like many others would probably leave you to this one due to the lack of base sauce. However you have caught my attention as their are times when a wee curry is just what the doctor ordered yet all my stuff is in the freezer. Some here and myself included have considered using even tinned soup as a base substitute for a quick meal. Your Bhuna has potential in this category. I will have a go with pre cooking chicken or even veg in a mixture of your paste and water for 15 minutes or so and then follow your lead. Thanks will have a wee go this week. PP

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:48 PM »
Hi RS,

As Panpot suggests, the lack of base could put members off but the fact that you got it from your local TA intrigues me.

Do you think that this recipe was a "cook at home" version of his TA version?  Possibly, the chef may have thought that you wouldn't want to make a full blown base, so give you a recipe that would be doable at home?

Quite a fair bit of spicing and garlic in there too.  How many would this serve?  Again, if this is for more than one serving, I would suggest that this is a "cook at home" version, as most BIR and TA's cook one serving at a time.

Sorry for the questions, just trying to get it clear in my head, that's all :)

Thanks for the post fella,

Ray :)

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 01:14 AM »
perfect questions mate

Offline RivalSavage

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 05:04 PM »
Well the memory fades after 25 plus years so it may well have been a home version I was given but all I would say is it was the same stuff they sold me at the time, as befitting a bhuna in those days very dry and to tell the truth I felt it more resembled Rogan Josh.

I fished out the original recipe actually and the garlic quota given was even higher (7). I must have adapted it to suit at the time!Regarding the spice paste, it was precisely that, 5 teaspoons of the relevant ground spices mixed with a little water and then fried in the oil. I have tried this with mixed seafood (lobster, scallops etc) and it's a winner every time.

Serves 2-3 by the way. Don't let the lack of a curry base put you off!

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Hi RS,

Serves 2-3 by the way

That would explain the high garlic and spice content then.

As for it having no base, no, it wouldn't put me off at all.  If it's as good as you say, then I'd give it a go.

I think your description of a Bhuna is spot on, it should be quite dry with very little sauce, something that a lot of BIR's would do well to remember these day's.

Thanks for answering my queries, much appreciated.

Ray :)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 02:14 PM »
yes , the bir chef i know, does a lot more evaporation for bhuna, and adds more onion. he also adds more tumeric. the end result is dry, and not as saucy as madras. he even used 2 pans for the single dish he made me during my demo. half the sauce in one pan, the rest in another. this improves the taste he said.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 05:29 PM »
DD, I would be interested in your best Bhuna Recipe? RS I had a go the other night. I did add some Ginger paste too otherwise I followed you to the letter. I pre cooked veggies. I have to say that I tend to agree with Razor regarding well meaning chefs back then sending us home with this typical type of recipe as a home style without the base approach. That said it was just that for me but very good too a relatively quick and easy meal when everything else is in the freezer and you need a curry. I suggest you have a go with the various Bhunas on here to compare with this one. I can strongly recommend The Ashoka one but I am a Glaswegian and regional variation can make a difference but it has to be up there with the best. I will use your recipe again in similar situations, thanks again. PP

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 10:38 AM »
Hi  Panpot, the best bhuna is your ashoka korai bhuna. I do have another slightly different bhuna recipe based on observations from the bir chef at my local. It uses a different base than the ashoka base, namely the safron style or CA type of base. The bhuna recipe also has veg ghee in it, which i copied from the chef at my local. He always uses veg ghee in bhuna to make it rich(also some oil). I will try and find the recipe and post it, i used to make it alot , and it makes a nice chnage to the ashoka bhuna. I will search for it later. Cheers DD.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 02:53 PM »
Cheers DD, I can't disagree The Ashoka Bhuna Korai took my cooking to near perfection, 99% perfect. Looking forward to your post if you find it. PP

©2024 Curry Recipes