Author Topic: What dominates the flavour?  (Read 12607 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: What dominates the flavour?
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Sorry PP, but I need to pick you up on this, just to get it straight in my mind.

I am also prepared to accept that my views may belong to a minority of one

That couldn't be further from the truth PP.  I, and I believe many others share your passion for this site, and if anything or anyone was doing anything to the detriment of this great site, I would also vehemently voice my opinion, as you have done.

and let the majority if they exist

Of course they exist, just look at the amount of post counts certain members have.  Ok, I don't think any of us really take the "spice master" or "Curry god" tags that go with our post counts seriously but surely that must show how passionate certain members are?

You was absolutely correct in confronting FJ about promoting his own site, but probably went about it the wrong way.  That's fine, you were big enough to acknowledge that in your last post in this thread.  With that said, the tone of your post still comes across (on screen) as if your still upset because a few of us have come to the conclusion that FJ's site is nothing more than a "fansite" and of little threat to cr0.  On reading it, I also share SP's fears, that you are suggesting that your going to call it a day, as an active member on this great site.

PP, if that is the case, then I for one, and I'm sure I speak for others too, would be very sad to see you go.  The Ashoka recipes have been a revelation to many a member on here, and all your hard work in bringing them to cr0 has been much appreciated by all.

Please don't let a misunderstanding influence your participation here.  It's just one of those things, lets move on!

I am also sorry to go off topic (once again) but I need to let PP know that he is not alone in wanting to protect this great site.

Ray :)

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 08:46 AM »
Can anyone lend me a tenner till Friday?

Sorry, off topic...  ;D

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 08:49 AM »
http://www.cook4one.co.uk/c2/sb/c41vindaloo.html

Went straight to the vindaloo; potatoes and vinegar.

Noooooooo!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 10:26 AM »
http://www.cook4one.co.uk/c2/sb/c41vindaloo.html

Went straight to the vindaloo; potatoes and vinegar.

Noooooooo!

I can see why you'd be appaled by thye inclusion of vinegar but what's wrong with potatoes?

We could debate why potatoes got into the dish in the first place but if it ain't got spuds in it, it ain't a BIR vindaloo!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 11:12 AM »
I can see why you'd be appaled by thye inclusion of vinegar but what's wrong with potatoes?

To be honest, I can't even see why V-C would be appalled at the inclusion of vinegar : approximately 10% of the hits for "vindaloo" returned by Google also contain the word "vinegar", so it's by by no means unknown for vindaloos to include this ingredient. Kris Dhillon writes in her most recent book "Traditionally, a combination of clear and dark vinegars is often used to make vindaloo", Dave Loyden has it in his recipes for vindaloo (with the alternative of lemon), and doing a search on CR0 for vinegar within the vindaloo sub-forum also throws up about eight hits ...

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 11:36 AM »
SS I never put spuds in and have rarely eaten them in BIRs.

Chaa006

I wasn't appalled, it's just the first thing I look for in a recipe book, if a vindy has vinegar then it ain't BIR mate.  :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 11:47 AM »

Hmmm, I don't know what to say about that other than every Vindaloo I've ever had has had one or two pieces of potato in it.  ???

In fact it's often the only way, other than the diffrence in heat, that you can tell it's a vindaloo and not  a madras.

I don't think you're UK based are you? Are you referring to what vindaloos are like where you are?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 11:53 AM »
To be honest, I can't even see why V-C would be appalled at the inclusion of vinegar : approximately 10% of the hits for "vindaloo" returned by Google also contain the word "vinegar", so it's by by no means unknown for vindaloos to include this ingredient. Kris Dhillon writes in her most recent book "Traditionally, a combination of clear and dark vinegars is often used to make vindaloo", Dave Loyden has it in his recipes for vindaloo (with the alternative of lemon), and doing a search on CR0 for vinegar within the vindaloo sub-forum also throws up about eight hits ...

Yes but that's all based on authentic Goan Vindaloo Phil. BIR curries have never (in my experience) had vinegar or, for that matter, any souring agent (like lemon dressing) in them.

It always winds me up when I see lemon or vinegar added to vindaloo but that's because I'm used to old style BIR curries.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 12:07 PM »
SS

I'm from Merseyside originally, have lived in Oz for two years. I've had a few vindaloos with spuds in but the majority didn't. You can tell a vindaloo from a madras in two ways depending on where you are;
Eat in; waiter brings it to you and tells you what it is.
Take away; the word 'Vindaloo' will be written on the lid of the carton.

I think it's probably a regional thing, not many places I've been to put spuds in a vindaloo... (though do in all the places in Oz and they're awful).

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 12:14 PM »

Chaa006

I wasn't appalled, it's just the first thing I look for in a recipe book, if a vindy has vinegar then it ain't BIR mate.  :)

Hi

From time to time, I have read on this forum that people find it an outrage that a recipe suggests adding a splash of vinegar to a BIR vindaloo - this reaction puzzles me.

The KD, Under Cover, CA recipes for example, not to mention several others all specify that vinegar is used? what should be used in its place?

A Vindaloo is my favourite, and it should be hot, garlicky, tomatoey and bitter. I think when you have had a proper vindaloo you should feel dirty, wrong and a little damaged. A little squirt of lemon juice just will not create that!

BTW, never ever had a Vindaloo from a BIR that did not have some potato in it?

cheers

©2024 Curry Recipes