Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Jal Frezi by Razor  (Read 31518 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Jal Frezi by Razor
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 01:56 PM »
Hi Ray,

Please don't get me wrong.  I think the "underlying sweetness" that you refer to is fundamental to reproducing BIR curries.  That's why I am interested in your observations.

The main difference, although there are others, is the boiling of the onions whole.

But this is the bit I am unconvinced about

Just a thought, I do give it the full 3 hours, do you think that this could be a factor?

I think it (maybe even in conjunction with boiling whole onions) may well be.  Though I get the impression, from CT's video and writings, that the total preparation time is around 3 hours but the total cooking time is only around 1 hour and 30 minutes?  It would be good (i.e. helpful) if CT is able to confirm this?

what I will do, is go back to my base, leave the onions whole and boil them for my usual length of time

I think that would be a very useful "experiment" to prove or disprove your belief.  And/or making CT's base with boiled and chopped onions.

Like you, I would also be very interested in knowing where this "underlying sweetness" comes from (because I think it is a desirable thing).

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 01:58 PM »
PS:  I think it is great to see that other members are also prepared to remain open minded and to "test" whether the "underling sweetness" is due to boiling whole onions (or the time for which they are boiled)...or not.

I think it makes good experimental sense.

And I very much look forward to hearing of their (and your) results (either way)  8)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 02:19 PM »
Hi CA,

I agree, should be very intersting. 

I'm a bit unsure how to treat mine whilst carrying out this experiment?

As you maybe aware, I fry everything off first for ten minutes or so before I add the water ie; Chopped onions, garlic and ginger.  I then fry off the tomatoes and sugar and spices in a separate pan.  I then bring these two pans together.

I'm guessing that I would have to fundamentally change my method to carry out the experiment?

So, basically, I would be making Chewys base but leaving out the pepper, cabbage and carrots?

Bloody hell, is this curry lark ever easy ???

Ok, I'll gently fry off the garlic and ginger, say for a couple of minutes, add the onions and water then proceed as normal.

Next experiment would be, as above but cook for going on three hours.

Wish me luck 8)

Ray :)

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 02:25 PM »
I think the sweetness of Chewy's base is almost certainly down to the cooking time, as it takes longer for the onions to cook and soften when they are whole. I asked Chewy in the below link regarding what the 3 hours meant - total time or the cooking of the onions (another other ingredients).

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5635.msg59324#msg59324

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 02:26 PM »
Hi Ray,

I would be more inclined to make CT's base, in the way that you have, with whole and with chopped onions.  And compare the two.  Probably simpler?

Oh, and Good Luck!  Your results should be interesting..... 8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 02:29 PM »
Quote from: Ramirez
I think the sweetness of Chewy's base is almost certainly down to the cooking time

I think you may well be correct

I asked Chewy in the below link regarding what the 3 hours meant - total time or the cooking of the onions (another other ingredients).

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5635.msg59324#msg59324

And what was CT's reply please? 

So, whole onions versus chopped onions cooked for 1 hour and 30 minutes versus 3 hours?  Ha!  I can see it becoming more complicated by the minute (but still manageable)  :P

It would be great to get to the bottom of this....I'll try that foursome myself....

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 02:50 PM »
Alas I'm away for 7 days as from this Wednesday coming so I won't get an opportunity to give this a go until a week Saturday.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2011, 03:14 PM »
Chewy's base is currently on the stove. Hour in and the onions are softening but am going to give them another hour until my knife goes through them like a hot knife through butter :). So two hours plus half an hour with spice and tom paste followed by blending and sieving  :( then back on for another half hour till the oil separates.  That's three hours without the faffing in between.  I hope this turns out to be worth it :-\.  Then all i have to do is decide what's for supper tonight ;D.  Very tempted to give your RJ a go Ray, or could it be a CA phall or should i experiment some more with my North Indian Special?  Decisions, decisions ::).  This curry making lark is all go ;D

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2011, 03:16 PM »
Hi Ray
You couldn't have explained it any better, the first time.

It took me 3 hours in total one, lazy saturday afternoon in March.

The first video I did, only took 1hour in total, and was not as sweet.(pressure cook 30mins)
If I want a really sweet base I leave the onions whole (pressure cook 30mins)

The point people may seem to be missing, is that there should be 90% onion in any base recipe.
The more onions the better/sweeter! If your want to mimic what they do in all BIR/TA's I know and probably in your local,
Boill them whole. @100 degrees!

Here's some random poor quality phone snaps
one with the foodmill in action

cheers Chewy

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2011, 05:02 PM »
Hey Chewy,

Wow, that first pot made my eyes water ;D

So, how long ago did you obtain these pictures then mate?  I ask because they are still using the food mill.

Just out of interest Chewy, have you ever made your base with chopped onions, and if so, what was your findings?

©2024 Curry Recipes