Author Topic: CWG's IG Style Bhajis  (Read 33387 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: CWG's IG Style Bhajis
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 09:26 AM »
I think the lemon dressing in this is a mistake. I was discussing bhaji's with Az yesterday and he said the lemon breaks up the binding effect of the egg and means the batter will break down too easily and the bhaji's won't hold their shape.

I notice the IG Bhaji's dont use any type of lemon in them and I think this is the reason why. I'll try dropping it with the batch I make tonight for the BBQ.

Offline Zed666

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 01:38 PM »
Hi mate,

Will be trying these today....

You mentioned cutting into tiny < matchstick size.....Im thinking it would be easier to grate it, would this affect the result?

Thanks,

Z.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 02:16 PM »
Hi Zed,

Not wanting to answer on Chris's behalf but I suspect grating the potatoe would release too much water, something you should avoid when making good bhajis!

If you do go with grating, I would recommend that you squeeze as much water out as possible before you mix them with the onions.

Hope that helps, and welcome to cr0 mate.

Ray :)

Offline Zed666

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 02:46 PM »
I see.

Thanks Razor, T - 2 hours till  begin.

Doing these, the grou9 test winning kebabs and your chicken tikka jalfrezzi (Although with normal chicken, darths base and a s9ice mix I have from another site).

Looking forward to the results!.

Z.

EDIT: Just noticed your kebabs were the highest rated, 2 out of 3 ;-).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:59 PM by Zed666 »

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 03:10 PM »
As Razor said, grating wont produce as good results. As long as you have a really sharp, straight knife you wont have any problems. Aim for matchstick length but about half the width.

The real key here is cooking them on a low heat for along time. If they are browning after 4 or 5 mins your oil is too hot and they will be raw inside. Aim for closer to 10 - 15 minutes of cook time and maybe turn up the heat for the last couple of minutes to crispen them up.

Good luck.

Chris

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 03:36 PM »
Hi Zed,

Good luck with all three recipes mate, and if you can, try to get a photo or two, so you can share with us your efforts.

Offline Zed666

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2011, 05:36 PM »
A Piccy is the least I could  do for such an amazing recipe....roaring succes these!!!.

I was a little scared at the ammount of gram flour I was having to add to the mix to make it mouldable.....but 12 mins in the fryer they were perfectly cooked through!!!.

Thankyou for the brilliant recipe!!!!....I shall just add half a tsp more salt next time :).

Z.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2011, 09:46 PM »
Wow, they look brilliant - well done!

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2011, 11:29 PM »
Wow, they look brilliant - well done!

Agreed, they look great and what an excellent first attempt.

Well done Z

Offline mak

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Hi Chinois

Great to hear you are keen to help test the bhajis - you will be an expert by the end of it!

The aniseed are these: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-Rajah-Greenfields-Aniseed.html#aISW030

The give a very different taste to fennel seeds adding a warmth and depth to the flavour - it was Axe's breakthrough but even though I'm not a big aniseed fan in other things I find them essential in these.

I'll send you a list to test along with a template for recording your results, could you PM me you email address.

Cheers
Chris

Are these the same thing Chris ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aniseed-whole-seeds-spice-150g-1-99-TheSpiceworks-/350461034646?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item51991b0096#ht_2909wt_905

Free shipping as well :)

Cheers

©2024 Curry Recipes