Author Topic: CWG's IG Style Bhajis  (Read 33252 times)

Offline benbob

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CWG's IG Style Bhajis
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 11:20 AM »
Made these yesterday at fairly short notice and didn't have any Aniseed, rather than substitute it for something else I left it out completely.

And the results, well what can i say, even without the aniseed this recipe produced a top quality bhaji full of flavour and a perfect texture.

Sorry no pictures as my clan devoured yesterdays meal before I had a chance to think.

Thanks for sharing Chris :)

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 11:05 AM »
Hi,
I made these yesterday lunchtime for a curry night,  cooked them for 10 mins at 120C and scoffed a couple for lunch & very nice they were too.  In the evening I put them back in the deep fat fryer for 2 mins and they came out fantastic, the difference was they were really crispy on the outside yet still moist inside.  I did use the lemon dressing having not read the whole thread until this morning but for me these are perfect 8)

thanks cwg

Will

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 06:25 PM »
benbob - you can substitute the aniseed with some fennel which has a similar flavour.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2012, 06:36 PM »
Hey guys, glad you liked them. As SL said you can put fennel seeds in instead but for the full experience its well worth hunting down some aniseeds. You'll probably have to order them online as they are hard to find. The warmth they add to the bhaji has to be tasted to be believed!

Offline Mathmos_man

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2013, 11:39 PM »
Just tried these tonight, thought I'd post my experiences....

I followed the recipe but stopped at step 3, left overnight then the next morning (after the onions had softened a little) I carried on from step 4. I pinched another tip whilst cooking and stopped halfway through (after the bhaji's had just started to colour (1 min or so) took them out and microwaved them on full for 90 secs, then returned to the oil for a final 2 mins or so. This produced golden bhaji's, cooked all the way through and then ready to heat in the oven when my guests arrived... I also decided to mix in a little orange food colouring just to ensure they were super golden... not sure if it was needed though !

Super tasty, thanks for the recipe....

Math

Offline Mathmos_man

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2013, 12:36 AM »
Photos of my efforts

Also forgot to mention - I too couldn't find any aniseed - i used the mortar and pestle and ground up 4 or so star anise to a powder and added them.... For me that did the trick  8)

1) the onions after a night of marinading
2) the finished cooked bhajis

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2013, 10:02 AM »
Also forgot to mention - I too couldn't find any aniseed

If you can't find Aniseed the best alternative is to use Fennel seeds.

Well done on your efforts the bhaji look lovely. It is worth trying to make them tennis ball size. It takes some practice, but well worth the effort. :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2013, 02:58 PM »
They do undeniably look good but, to me, they also look wrong. They have that 'cakey' texture to the batter which you don't get on the best onion bhajis.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2013, 04:52 PM »
They do undeniably look good but, to me, they also look wrong. They have that 'cakey' texture to the batter which you don't get on the best onion bhajis.

That will be the gram flour and a little heavy handed with the squeezing.  ;)  Look pretty edible to me though all the same.

Offline Mathmos_man

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2013, 11:39 PM »

If you can't find Aniseed the best alternative is to use Fennel seeds.

Well done on your efforts the bhaji look lovely. It is worth trying to make them tennis ball size. It takes some practice, but well worth the effort. :)

Cheers I didn't want big ones as it was more for finger food and I'm not allowed a deep fat fryer in the house .... Yet lol

©2024 Curry Recipes