Author Topic: CWG's IG Style Bhajis  (Read 33186 times)

Offline Mathmos_man

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CWG's IG Style Bhajis
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2013, 11:42 PM »
They do undeniably look good but, to me, they also look wrong. They have that 'cakey' texture to the batter which you don't get on the best onion bhajis.

That will be the gram flour and a little heavy handed with the squeezing.  ;)  Look pretty edible to me though all the same.

I think my batter was too heavy hence the cakeyness, can't wait for try 2

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2013, 09:41 AM »
Cheers I didn't want big ones as it was more for finger food...

...I think my batter was too heavy hence the cakeyness, can't wait for try 2

Perhaps you could convince them to allow you one of those mini fryers that could be tucked away neatly. ;)

The cakeyness can be due to several things. Making small finger finger food sized portions is certainly of of them as you need a fair bit of batter to hold them together.

Overall though, I found the most important thing to get right was the ratio of onion to batter and the batter's consistency. You need a very thick and sticky batter hardly what I would call a batter, more like a paste. Then you need a good deal of onion but not too much that you can't form a ball.

Wetting your hands before forming the bhaji is also key. This allows you to form the bhaji uniformly and to stop your hands becoming caked in the so called batter. The water from your hands will mix with the batter on the outside to form a wetter solution whilst the centre remains still quite dry.

It's probably the last method you might think of to make a haji, but it is the only way to reach bhaji nirvana ;)

Offline Mathmos_man

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2013, 09:32 PM »

Perhaps you could convince them to allow you one of those mini fryers that could be tucked away neatly. ;)

The cakeyness can be due to several things. Making small finger finger food sized portions is certainly of of them as you need a fair bit of batter to hold them together.

Overall though, I found the most important thing to get right was the ratio of onion to batter and the batter's consistency. You need a very thick and sticky batter hardly what I would call a batter, more like a paste. Then you need a good deal of onion but not too much that you can't form a ball.

Wetting your hands before forming the bhaji is also key. This allows you to form the bhaji uniformly and to stop your hands becoming caked in the so called batter. The water from your hands will mix with the batter on the outside to form a wetter solution whilst the centre remains still quite dry.

It's probably the last method you might think of to make a haji, but it is the only way to reach bhaji nirvana ;)

Thanks for that, ill try next time and keep up the pressure on the fryer lol

Cheers

Math

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2013, 11:10 PM »
I haven't tried, but i'm sure you could make a flat version keeping in mind the points I made above. Having read back my comments, I am embarrassed at my dyslexic typing, it seems to be getting worse.  :-\

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2013, 04:59 PM »
Hey guys, nice to see this thread still going strong! I wish I could edit the OP as the Lemon Dressing shouldn't be in there (it causes the batter to break up) and I wouldn't add any salt if marinading the onions overnight. In fact I'd probably just add the aniseeds for overnight so the onions take on the flavour and soften a little but not too much. My guess from the last set of pics was that all the dry ingredients went in all night meaning a lot of water came out of the onions and made them very soft. This might explain why the batter looked cakey and a bit too dense.

Making flat ones seems like it should be easier but I find them harder. I think the trick is to cook them round for 10 - 12 minutes at 130 - 140 then squash them flat inside a metal chefs ring. This means they will spread out and flatten but shouldn't break apart. I used to prefer them flat but I probably prefer round ones now if they are cooked through.

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2013, 05:05 PM »
I cheat and use a burger press to make my bhaji'. They all come out uniform and are just 'fat' enough to cook through and not be doughy inside.

cheap as chips from lakeland and dead handy for shami kebabs as well no to mention burgers!

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/10481/Quarter-Pounder-Burger-Press

Offline Mathmos_man

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2013, 11:39 AM »
Hey guys, nice to see this thread still going strong! I wish I could edit the OP as the Lemon Dressing shouldn't be in there (it causes the batter to break up) and I wouldn't add any salt if marinading the onions overnight. In fact I'd probably just add the aniseeds for overnight so the onions take on the flavour and soften a little but not too much. My guess from the last set of pics was that all the dry ingredients went in all night meaning a lot of water came out of the onions and made them very soft. This might explain why the batter looked cakey and a bit too dense.

Making flat ones seems like it should be easier but I find them harder. I think the trick is to cook them round for 10 - 12 minutes at 130 - 140 then squash them flat inside a metal chefs ring. This means they will spread out and flatten but shouldn't break apart. I used to prefer them flat but I probably prefer round ones now if they are cooked through.

Ya the dry ingredients were all left in overnight causing the onions to be quite translucent the next day (although that did make them easier to mould). I can't recall how much liquid had come out, but I know from re-reading i put the salt in at the start and left overnight so that will definately have drawn out a lot of liquid and was in error. I still also think my batter was a bit off and next time i'll post more stepwise photos... if i can get the batter off my cameraphone !!

Cheers for the advice

Math

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2014, 02:39 PM »
Hi Chris

Is this your winning recipe? If not have you the link? Also is fennel acceptable as an aniseed substitute?

Ed

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2014, 10:18 AM »
Hi last time i made some OB's it was CA's recipe and they went down a storm at the pub, that was about 18 mths ago. Well I have been on a mission to make the group test winners recipes between now and then and yesterday I made CWG's IG bhaji's and they got an even better reception from the sunday club at the pub!!! I must say they are distinctly different, CA=sweet, minty and fennelly whereas these are oniony and savoury due to no sugar and the asafotaeda and the aniseed (i used a ground star anise) and these in my opinion are the winners, more akin to BIR's of old!!! I used Abduls powder which has a little bit of heat which was also very pleasant.

Well done CWG

Ed

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2014, 03:58 PM »
Do bhajis get a bit wet with oil if you fry them at 130C? Seems a low temperature but maybe this works ok?

©2024 Curry Recipes