Author Topic: CWG's IG Style Bhajis  (Read 32875 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: CWG's IG Style Bhajis
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Hi Moonster

I'm glad you liked them and pleased you managed to get the aniseeds. You are right they are tough to find but a bag will last a long time. They are well worth hunting down for the essential extra dimension they give to the flavour.

It was interesting to hear your tweaks too, I'll try them with Razors spice mix next time.

Chris

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 09:58 AM »
Could Chris/Moonster please clarify exactly what they are referring to as "aniseed" ?  Is this the spice that I know from Chinese cookery as "star anise" (eight individual seed pods, each containing one seed, all radiating from a common centre) or is there another form of aniseed of which I am unaware ?

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 11:25 AM »
Aniseed is a seed in it's own right, not to be mistaken as Anise/Star Anise. It is similar to a fennel seed but smaller and has a very distinct fresh Aniseed flavour and with a very gentle warmth at the back of the throat after taste.

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-Rajah-Greenfields-Aniseed.html#aISW030

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 12:13 PM »
OK, all clear Axe, thank you.  Aniseed is the seed of Pimpinella anisum, whilst star anise is the seed of Illicium verum : I shall have to order some real aniseed now and see what difference it makes, as I have used only star anise previously !

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 12:32 PM »
Your most welcome.

If you use Aniseed in place of Fennel, you will certainly notice the difference.

I'm not sure I would replace star anise when using it in a in cooking liquor of some kind though. You wouldn't get enough flavour from it in return.

I did however try making a Pilau Rice with it in place of adding star anise and choose to keep the seed in the rice. It turned out very well indeed.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 12:45 PM »
I did however try making a Pilau Rice with it in place of adding star anise and choose to keep the seed in the rice. It turned out very well indeed.
Yes, that was exactly the context in which I was thinking of trying it : it was my (Chinese/Vietnamese) wife who first identified that it was the anise element that was lacking in my pillau rice, and of course she suggested star anise with which she was already familiar.  I shall order some real aniseed "secretly" and surprise her !

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 12:34 PM »
Hi Chris

This recipe sure does make lovely bhaji's :)

The second time I made these - ran out of lemon dressing and added the same quantity of supermarket lemon juice, which is obviously more highly concentrated than the dressing..

Last night make another batch but using the specified dressing, and I'm thinking that batch no.2 with the lemon juice seemed to have a richer flavour which, personally speaking I found very nice. It was not extra 'lemony' but seemed to bring out the existing flavours more?

I think I will always use lemon juice in future. Just an idea that others may wish to try.

Cheers

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 08:12 PM »
Hi solar,

I too used just lemon the juice when i made them. i think personally its an excellent recipe for onion bhajis and they turn out right time after time.

regards

Alan ;D

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 08:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys. I didn't realize the lemon juice would make any difference, I use dressing as that's all I usually have in the cupboard. I'll but some fresh for the next try.

I was going to do my group test yesterday but discovered we had no eggs and we were blocked in due to our road being resurfaced. How unlucky!

Offline guitarmanguitar

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Hello Chris,

Gave these a go at the weekend.

I did add a little more spice mix, as I like mine quite spicey.
I also added some red, & green peppers.

Bloody lovely ;)

CArl...

©2024 Curry Recipes