Author Topic: How to test curries  (Read 11652 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How to test curries
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Hi Guys,

This one was always going to throw up some debate wasn't it?

Chris, I agree with Axe with regards to each tester making a different base each.  Each result will be different for each tester, and therefor not really concluding anything.

Given the number of variables that are presented, we must choose to go with a generic base and a minimal spice mix like the IG, adding in any missing components for individual recipes where possible.

We do already have a generic base on the forum "cr02" which also comes with an accompanying spice masala.

why not use a subtle generic base or one that is close to all the selected recipes curry base, but make the rest of each author recipe to spec including there own spice mix.

Again, the problem with that is, if say mine comes out scoring quite low, I'm always going to throw in the old "ah, but you didn't use my spice mix and therefor the test is invalid"

We really don't want to be upsetting recipe providers by deviating from their spec recipe.

And I strongly suggest that we refer to this one, should it go ahead, as an experiment, not a test. 

For me, and it is only my opinion, If we are to do this, the only way possible, without offending anyone, is to use the cr02 base, and it's accompanying spice masala, and just trial the different methods.  Just think of the possibilities!  We could actually do a hell of a lot more different trials if we wish, say 10.  We would have the base, we would have the spice masala, the methods are all clearly provided within the recipes, it would be very simple to do. The only extra ingredients we would need are, onion pastes, spiced oil, tandoori masala and whatever other extras are included in the varying methods.

Ray :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 02:17 PM »
How about we make a list of 5 or 6 Madras recipes then look at which ones require a specific base and compare the ingredients in them. Some of them say any base can be used. It would also be good to try and pick out the ones with different methods. The ones I have tried have all been fairly similar and simple: fry g/g paste, add tom puree, spice mix, chilli powder, methi leaves and sometimes lemon dressing, cook spices for a couple of mins before adding base, sprinkle with fresh coriander to finish. I think we'll be hard pressed to find 5 different recipes on the site.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Chris that's a good idea. If we can identify common areas it should help us decide.

I haven't done much base research myself so I can't comment on the CR02 base but I don't think the masala could be used. If you break down basic spice mixes the curry powder proportion is much less than the amount that could be considered to be in the CR02 masala. But that's only my opinion.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 02:48 PM »
Hi Guy's,

I know that I must sound like a broken record on this ::)

How about we make a list of 5 or 6 Madras recipes then look at which ones require a specific base and compare the ingredients in them. Some of them say any base can be used. It would also be good to try and pick out the ones with different methods.

This idea in itself is sound but (here I go again)  Sorry CA (for keep using you as the example) If we make CA's madras, but using a different base, and it doesn't come out good, then rightly so, CA will point out that this his not his recipe.  So where is the credibility in the rating?

The reverse is also true, Make my Madras, using a different base and it comes out great.  Yeah I would be well chuffed but if someone then makes my recipe to spec, using my base and say's "Oi, Razor you Madras is well rank mate"  Then that in itself could deter people from making my spec madras ever again.

The tests done this way don't hold any credibility for me, sorry.

My whole thinking on this one is, a few years ago, a few very enthusiastic cr0 members, tried to make a unique base and masala.  I think this was probably done, for the very same reasons as to why we are doing the recipe testing, to help move the forum forward, and leave the lesser "curry sites" in our slip stream.  Unfortunately, once the base and masala was decided, it didn't seem to move on any.  Surely, wouldn't you guy's like to conclude this early experiment and pick up where the others had left off?

How good would it be for this forum to have it's own Curry Base, Curry Masala, and a list of recipes to go with them.  I'm pretty sure that some of the "pay as you learn" sites don't have this.

Perhaps I'm being a bit too romantic about this concept, I don't know?

Like I said to Chris in my PM, maybe we could open up a poll with each of the suggestions, and lets see what the members would want us to do?

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes