Author Topic: A lesson in my local take-away  (Read 38591 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: A lesson in my local take-away
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Guys just got in from my take away lesson...all I can say is fantastic fantastic!!!  Been to curry heaven and back!

Arrived at 7.30 and got out at 10.45 all for 25 quid,Cooked a base sauce,madras and bombay aloo.Took some base sauce home with me along with everything else I did.There was a never ending stream of orders so I stood by the chef while he cooked them all....kormas,tikka masalas,sag aloo,madras etc.I watched them all.Will give you a full report tomorrow hopefully!!!!

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 07:42 AM »
I'm so excited about this
I can't wait JB

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 07:58 AM »
Sounds awesome, hurry up and wake up and post! I'm very interested in hearing where you think the differences were between how you cook a curry and how they do. Getting to cook your own there must have been really helpful.

What an amazing evening you must have had. We are all incredibly jealous.

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 08:59 AM »
Great Stuff jb
For ?25 that sounds like a bargain deal, looking forward to your report.
Matt

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 09:28 AM »
Arrived at 7.30 and got out at 10.45 all for 25 quid

They paid you only 25 quid for 3 1/4 hours work ?   Cheapskates !

But more seriously, well done : like every forum member, I await your full report with considerable interest.

** Phil.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 03:56 PM »
I would be very interested to know if any of the bases on this site compare to the base you took home you.

Looking forward to your report.  :)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 07:49 PM »
Right here goes I'll try not to ramble too much but I spent so long in the takeaway last night I don't know where to begin.I might split this into two or three posts-I spent ages typing today,the site went down and I lost the lot!!

Anyway I arrived about 6.45pm,met the manager and explained what I knew already after having my previous lessons.I donned my chef whites and was led into the kitchen.As it's a small open kitchen where I've seen the chef cook before,there was only two people working,the Manager(who spoke very good English)and the chef(he was a bit harder to understand).The Manager took care of naan breads,bhajis etc whilst the chef did everything else.I thought as it was a Monday it would be quiet but it was in fact very busy.This gave me the added bonus of standing next to the chef watching everything he did.I found it hard to concentrate at first as there was so much to look at,behind the cooker was the table where he had all of his fresh ingredients and at the side was his spices.I really wish I could have had another member of the forum with me,I asked a lot of questions but I've since thought of a lot more!!The place is in Essex not far from junction 31 on the M25 if anyone live near here,he's quite keen to do lessons for some reason.I left about 10.40 laden with my goody bags,the Manager said I was welcome to come back for more lessons,in fact he said when I'm cooking my base sauce at home to phone him if I get stuck!!

Base Sauce
------------------

First question was obviously the base sauce.I had a good look inside the pot,the contents was the normal yellow/orange with a little film of oil at the sides.He said he would show me a scaled down version but using exactly the same ingredients as they use in the kitchen.He explained there is no definite base sauce recipe,every takeaway uses the same basic principles and add their own touches to make it different and unique to them.I asked about the inclusion of asofotedia(hing),margarine,ajowain seeds etc.He had never heard of hing and didn't use the other two,although others may use them.My big question was the use of spiced oil,or onion bhaji oil.He'd never used that either although again he said others might just to avoid throwing oil away.On the subject of spiced oil I saw no use of it whatsoever in the take-away,I asked him if he skimmed the top of the gravy to make dishes and he said no.On the stove was a tin full of vegetable oil(I think the make was pride).No ghee was used(except for naan breads and pillau rice).As I watched the chef cook all the dishes using plain oil(and having tasted them before) I'm confident that the elusive taste can be done without spiced oil.The gravy ingredients themselves were pretty standard apart from one thing..

5 large white onions
1 spring onion
3 chillis
small piece of lemon
1 carrot
handfull of coriander leaves and stalks
half a green pepper
small spoon of tomato puree
1/4 of coconut block(this one surprised me)

chef spoon of ginger/garlic paste
1/4 teaspoon each of Cinnamon,coriander,cumin,garam masala(he actually makes his own-I smelt it and it was wonderful)

Everything was chopped and put into a large pot. the ginger/garlic was added as well as the spices.Two mug fulls of vegetable oil was added as was water to cover it.It was then put on a high heat with the lid on for about 45 mins.He actually added some more water about half way.It was then left to cool.After fumbling about with a mini blender he decided to get out the big industrial stick one they use to blend it which was quite amusing.
(continued onto next post)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 07:59 PM »
jb,

fascinating post. i'm sure you've really struck gold.

all sits very well with me and very much looking forward to the "continued".

take a big pat on the back sir.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 07:59 PM »
Hi
Thank you for that, more surprised by the spring onion, thanks again.
Regards

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Hi jb

Thank you for the great report.

Would you say that this restaurant has the magic? does its dishes have the elusive quality about them?

If you would like a companion on your next visit (I'm miles away) but please consider the request ;)

Thanks again for your reports

Regards

©2024 Curry Recipes