Author Topic: another curry recipe book  (Read 31634 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: another curry recipe book
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2010, 02:42 AM »
Hi Panpot,

As you know (because you, me and others, certainly discussed it at the time), the decision was made (not just by me) to (yes, deliberately  ::)) reorganize your Ashoka posts to fit better with the forum structure.

As you also know, the forum is currently structured so that completed recipes are posted in the various recipe sections and unrelated chat is posted in the various chat sections (at least this is what is supposed to happen).  This is intended to make it easier for all to find content (because it is, or should be, in the relevant sections).  This clearly isn't the only option for structuring the forum, nor is it necessarily the best.  But it is the structure that we currently have.  I understand what you are proposing and I can see the merits (though I believe we need to be clearer on precisely what is being proposed).

I'm sure you will acknowledge that your Ashoka posts were a hotchpotch of reasonably complete recipes, largely incomplete recipes and related (and unrelated) chat and comments.  Single Ashoka threads thereby ran into several hundred posts (making things very hard to find) and included many different recipes (both complete and incomplete) and related (and unrelated) chat.   I therefore reorganized the posts in an attempt to make them easier for all to follow.  It certainly works adequately, in my opinion, if posts are made in appropriate sections of the forum and links are provided to other relevant threads (which, I believe, I have done with your Ashoka posts).

However, if sufficient members feel an alternative structure is "better", then they really need to motivate for it (clearly stating what is actually being proposed and citing the benefits to the forum and its members).  It then remains for someone to agree to reorganize the forum to accommodate those wishes.  Currently, only Admin (i.e. Stew) can do this.

I suggest that anyone, who wishes to propose structural changes to the forum, creates a thread in the relevant section of the forum (i.e. "forum administration") and motivates for changes with other members and, ultimately, Stew. 

Posting the suggestions in this thread is seriously off topic (apologies to the originator for my post) and will, therefore, most likely go unheeded.  Similarly, "protestations"  ::) are more than likely to go unheeded. I think Stew is most likely to oblige well considered, well presented, well justified and well supported requests made in the relevant section of the forum (or maybe not).  After all, it is he who would have to restructure the forum (unless, of course, he delegates it).  And you (or others) could do worse than to make it as easy as possible for him to oblige.

Apologies for the diatribe!  :P
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 03:02 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2010, 02:59 AM »
PS:  in the meantime (or alternatively?) perhaps you could create an "Ashoka Index" thread and supply all the relevant links to your recipes, related chat, whatever, there?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 03:06 AM »
Has anyone come across this one before???

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/095634030X?tag=eighteighttem-21

Tempted to buy it just to add to my collection,just wondering if anyone has seen it before.

Nope, not seen that one JB, thanks for bringing to our attention!  8)

In my opinion, the more books on the subject the better (you just never know what alternatives, new insights, and other little gems, you might glean!).

Has anybody got it, or seen it, then?  What do you think of it?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:36 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2010, 02:43 PM »
Just got the book through the post and am having a quick glance before I go to work.It looks very promising to me,well written and clear with some photo's as well.
Included is a base sauce recipe(not to disimilar to others on this site) as well as a secret spice mix.This spice mix has the same ingredients as the one my chef taught me on my lessons,so either the author and my chef have been communicating with each other or it is a genuine BIR spice mix!!!

The tikka masala recipe looks spot on as does the tikka/tandoori marinades(again quite similar to what I was shown).

HOWEVER what has caught my eye is a recipe for a spiced onion mix,or bhuna onion as it's called in the book.It's added to some dishes to get more flavour.I know this sort of mix has been discussed on this site before but it's the first time I've seen it in the many so called restaurant cook books I have in my collection.

Maybe a bit overpriced considering its number of pages but well worth a purchase.The bhuna onion paste is very interesting.

Offline Gazza63

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2010, 03:35 PM »
Well got a reply from the book website,

Hi,
thanks for your enquiry, no i have no connection with the Curry Crunch Takeaway at Inworth Walk Colchester

so that has blown my theory out of the water, the comments jb made sound promising, some cookbooks have an introduction from the author so maybe he will post some info when he's had time to look at it more, might just go ahead and buy it anyway.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2010, 06:15 PM »
Maybe a bit overpriced considering its number of pages but well worth a purchase.

I agree it looks overpriced. If about 10 of us could cooperate, one person could buy it before sending it to the next person for say ?1 less, and so on. Paypal might be used. We'd need to decide who gets to keep the book, once the price is fully recovered. If more people want to pay ?1 to see the book for a few days, then any profits could be passed to this forum. Actually, the book could then be sold on eBay to save anybody from keeping it, with any income also going to the forum.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Mine arrived today, adding to my collection of curry cookbooks.

First thoughts are...
1/ Overpriced for what it is.
2/ There is nothing new in this book that we don't already know from this site or other BIR cooking sites. Ref: the Base Garabi or Mix Powder.
3/ The Bhuna Onions... hard to describe, not quite going as far as Bunjarra or onion paste but there's more to it than simply pre cooked onions and peppers.
4/ The tikka and tandoori dishes use pastes as we know a lot of outlets do.
5/ I believe the recipes would give reasonable results by todays standard of BIR.

All above is only my humble opinion.

Mick

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2010, 06:50 PM »
It's suckered me in
I've just paid for it
Every time!
I know I'm an idiot, and I'll be in line for the next one

Offline matt3333