Author Topic: another curry recipe book  (Read 31653 times)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: another curry recipe book
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2010, 10:42 AM »
Thanks CA for taking the time to respond. I am really busy just now so starting from scratch to write it all up again is not that exciting especially as it would take one big long sitting. If I could be advised how I could do it over time ( I suspect this is easy to do but I am bit of a technophobe ) and then post it all in one go I would be up for updating it in light of the odd mistake made originally with ingredient quantities and other descriptive improvements. I might even be able to add a few more from the Hand book I was given. I would only want to redo it all if it was going into a dedicated reference section for single BIR or Chef sourced recipes, IE mini books. Any further comments or questions could be linked to another thread so as not to create the trouble you had before. all of this of course if the rest of the guys can see the merritt in it now and for the future when someone else gets a series of lessons or a site visit.

I am going to buy the book now that so many of you feel it might add value even if just for the Bhuna Onions which given my passion for Bunjarra makes sense. PP

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2010, 10:47 AM »
If needs be PP I could assemble the document for you and once you are happy we can put it up on the site?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Hi Panpot, As you know (because you, me and others, certainly discussed it at the time), the decision was made (not just by me) to (yes, deliberately  ::)) reorganize your Ashoka posts to fit better with the forum structure.

I agreed with the decision and still do. It makes far more sense to have recipes sorted into categories like madras, rice and vegetables, rather than under any one restaurant or source. I hate that approach on another forum.  An index is also useful, by restaurant, but I wouldn't go further than that.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2010, 10:34 PM »
Cheers VC and I do hear what George is saying. Is there not a decent compromise here? Is is it not the motive of most if not all of us to recreate BIR standard food and probably to put together a credible BIR meal. Surely actual BIR recipes that need a number of sauces and pastes should be kept together and also be broken up as per George's view, can we not simply do both in this type of case? PP

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2010, 10:20 AM »
It seems to me that all we need is one additional main thread (call it "Recipes by author", say) within which there are links to the original articles classified as at present.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2010, 10:21 AM »
I could make a pdf book that users could download, no cluttering of the forum, just one book that can be downloaded?

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2010, 10:25 AM »
I could make a pdf book that users could download, no cluttering of the forum, just one book that can be downloaded?

That sounds like a cracking idea. Would you be happy to maintain it going forward?

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2010, 10:43 AM »
Yep, no problem at all.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2010, 08:31 AM »
My book turned up
It's a welcome addition to my collection
It's good that it's a complete set:  base with recipes that work with it
But there really is nothing new, for most people to learn from
If your unhappy with your home curry results, this book will NOT give a missing flavour/tecnique
If you are just starting curry cooking, it would be ideal
I thought the book would be larger as well
It's an A5 size, with lots of white paper around each recipe
Very little print on each page
Incredibly sparse
This book should really only cost a fiver
I had to see it though

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2010, 09:12 AM »
Hi Haldi
Mine also turned up yesterday and as you say its certainly overpriced for  the content,
A couple of interesting things such as the onion paste and yet another spices mix but certainly no eureka moment.
That said I bet its not the last BIR book I purchase :)
Matt

©2024 Curry Recipes