Author Topic: Who's the pan  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Who's the pan
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:51 AM »
I found three aluminium pans, exactly the same as BIRs use, in my local Salvos. Bought one for eight bucks and I'm made up. I can finally clang away at it with my chef's spoon instead of the dull thud of my old wok. Thinking about it I should've bought all three. It's great what you can get from charity shops.  ;D

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Who's the pan
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Go for it VC I can't honestly say that my curry improved when I bought three of them from a Glasgow Asian store but my self esteem went up an notch with the sound and look of the exercise. When guests come I think they really appreciate it and when they taste my efforts I suspect they go up an notch too just by adding all the real drama including serving them in authentic bowls brought from the same store.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 08:04 AM »
I'm 100% with you Panpot, there was a very disappointing clang when I used my wok. Now I've to the real deal, I can walk tall as I bang and scrape away at the pan (metaphorically; I don't advise cooking curries while you're walking).

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:41 AM »
real good timing and got me having a real laugh - went to Heswall tandoori last week and crossing the car park on the way home we could still hear the clanking - what a joy (and if u can get the smell at the same time - heaven)

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 11:46 AM »
Nice tandoori that, I made their website years ago, got a free banquet for me family and a tour of the kitchens out of it. They're very clean in there. I agree with the clanging comments, you could hear the noise as you ate your meal, I can recreate it now too. I see a decree nisi appearing on the doormat in the near future...

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 06:29 PM »
Nice tandoori that, I made their website years ago

Vindaloo-crazy,

we found the website just what we needed to get a feel for the place in advance and sort of home in on what to have. well done sir.

even more pleased u're now clanging too.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 10:32 AM »
Sorry; early onset dementia. I was thinking of the one opposite Carlett Park, not the Heswall one... Silly me! Yup, I'm clanging away like a good one, drove the kids out of the kitchen as I made half a portion of vindaloo tonight (no vinegar or potato though!)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 05:19 PM »
I cooked a couple of curries last night
This time I used a fairly heavy stainless steel pan, with a copper base
The funny thing was , that it didn't seem to get hot enough
Really hard work to use
I usually use my BIR aluminium frying pan, but people say aluminium can cause parkinsons disease
So I thought I would try the "safe" option

I'm going back to the BIR pan, there really is no comparison
BIR pans seem to get incredibly hot
They are so much better

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 01:27 PM »
I did buy a brand new still in the box black and decker workmate for 15 quid last week from the local charity shop, oh and a few books, including one of mrs jaffreys.
Pots and pans i'll have to keep an eye out for.

©2024 Curry Recipes