Author Topic: Hi from a Curry Secret Veteran  (Read 10447 times)

Offline bmouthboyo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Hi from a Curry Secret Veteran
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:19 AM »
Hello everyone,

This looks like just the site I am after  :)

I have so far been using "The Curry Secret" and have produced some great curries. I tended to cook the base in a huge pot to make 3 times the amount and keep Anglos stock in the freezer.

Overall I am very pleased with the curries, with the exception of her korma which tasted very different to BIR ones I have had.

I am thinking about trying alternative bases, but most I have seen on here appear to require a lot more effort from the one I am used to. Is the difference really that noticeable? And which is a good one to start with?

Thanks  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from a Curry Secret Veteran
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:56 AM »
keep Anglos stock in the freezer.

What's that then?   ???

I am thinking about trying alternative bases, but most I have seen on here appear to require a lot more effort from the one I am used to. Is the difference really that noticeable? And which is a good one to start with?

Yes the differences really are noticeable. You can go from a creamy coconutty one like the Ashoka (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3199.0), to a very tomatoey one like the Saffron (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2271.0), to a reasonably neutral one like Bruce Edwards' (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2815.0).

Each has its merits and faults and you generally need to cook the curries that go with the base (if there are any)

Ask ten people on here what their favourite base is and you'll probably get close to ten different answers. I would recommend the Bruce Edwards' base as a good starting point, but in all seriousness I think you could do worse than to pick a base at random from the base sauce section of the forum.

The KD base is a perfectly usable one, by the way, so don't feel you have to use a different base but if you don't try you won't know.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:57 PM »
bmouthboyo,

me too on the KD1 book but never really had any success with the recipes.

on the base as Secret Santa's says each to their own - u just need to work through a few. use u're own method too if u want.

for me having had KD1 base as my norm the key improvements learnt from this site:
1) ingredients (i rate fresh coriander as a must and then any of carrot, green pepper, green chilli, coconut milk or cream).
2) the spices and proportions to get a balance based
3) cooking technique
4) thinness yet full texture

best wishes,

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 10:09 PM »
The Bruce Edwards 2008 base is worth having a go if you've been used to KD, it's not complicated and he has a range of recipes to go with it including a very good Korma.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 03:48 PM »
use u're own method

Jerry - I'm sorry to have another dig at you but I thought English was the language we use here. Don't give me any more bull like you not being very well educated or much good at English. For some reason, you seem to enjoy writing like a teenager for no apparent advantage.

Here we have "u're" which is 4 characters, whereas "your" is also 4 characters and surely the correct word to use. Where's the sense? Why do you do it? If I'm honest, it just grates and irritates. Others may not agree. They may prefer to read "u're" over "your" for all I know.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 03:51 PM »
They may prefer to read "u're" over "your" for all I know.

I doubt any of us prefer it, but no one else seems pedantic enough to make an issue of it. I don't understand why you simply cannot ignore it.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 06:03 PM »

Jerry - I'm sorry to have another dig at you but I thought English was the language we use here. Don't give me any more bull like you not being very well educated or much good at English. For some reason, you seem to enjoy writing like a teenager for no apparent advantage.

Here we have "u're" which is 4 characters, whereas "your" is also 4 characters and surely the correct word to use. Where's the sense? Why do you do it? If I'm honest, it just grates and irritates. Others may not agree. They may prefer to read "u're" over "your" for all I know.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 06:35 PM »
UB - so you're another one responsible for helping to dumb down this forum. God only knows what that daft image you posted is supposed to indicate.

If Jerry wasn't such a prolific poster then his irritating use of English wouldn't be an issue. Some people may not enjoy listening to a certain DJ or presenter on the radio but you can just avoid their broadcasts. Similarly with certain sections in newspapers which some people hate but can avoid. Jerry makes so many - far too many - posts here that's it's almost impossible to avoid.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 06:44 PM »
Bloody hell George, oops dumbing down...
Is it really that important?
You post away Jerry, misuse of English and all.... ::)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 07:35 PM »
They may prefer to read "u're" over "your" for all I know.

I doubt any of us prefer it, but no one else seems pedantic enough to make an issue of it. I don't understand why you simply cannot ignore it.

Please keep posting Jerry :) - I love your insights on what you have been doing in your BIR world!

TBH - I'm jealous that I don't have as much time to try as many things as you do!

EDIT: Plus, to post such constructive and helpful feedback about real BIR cooking and techniques on such a regular basis for the benefit of all.

Regards

©2024 Curry Recipes