Author Topic: attempting naan bread for 1st time, recommendations please  (Read 8487 times)

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: attempting naan bread for 1st time, recommendations please
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 08:50 AM »
My bit of advice is to get an electric home pizza oven with a high heat output, this might be a more expensive option but they do get the job done and they also make superb pizza's as a plus ;D

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4610.0

Rob.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 10:36 AM »
josh,

i have just looked at your recipe and they look fantasic. i am going to try this recipe first.

you mention to add yoghurt and omit the baking powder, where would i add in the yoghurt and how much?

would the yoghurt be in place of anything else or added to the recipe?

thanks for your help.

Alan ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 04:49 PM »
My bit of advice is to get an electric home pizza oven with a high heat output,

canicant,

i know off post but do you have a make/model in mind. i have lincat on my wish list longterm but could do with a smaller version (to fit in the kitchen)

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 05:34 PM »
hi all,

thanks all for your help so far, i have just made the dough to the recipe josh uses as it is close to UB version as well.
 i have omitted the baking powder josh, as you recommended but kept to the rest of the recipe as specified, so i didnt add the yoghurt or full milk(but made ghee for the first time in years ;D).
 I am going to leave it raise now for 3 hours then wrap it in cling film and leave overnight in a fridge like UB suggests.

out of interest will the dough freeze, or will it keep in the fridge for a few days or do i have too cook them off straight away? also is it best to break the dough down into individual portions before storing in the fridge?
 i know, i know, so many questions but seriously i havnt got a clue, but would love to get these right.

thanks

Alan ;D

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 08:21 AM »
My bit of advice is to get an electric home pizza oven with a high heat output,

canicant,

i know off post but do you have a make/model in mind. i have lincat on my wish list longterm but could do with a smaller version (to fit in the kitchen)

I just have a no name one that looks a bit like a UFO Jerry, the only thing that lets it down is the lack of separate top and bottom heat control >:(

That Lincat looks the business, although its a bit on the pricey side  but IMO would be perfect for the job :)

Rob.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 08:30 AM »
canicant,

many thanks. the separate top & bottom control is as you say crucial. will let you know if i get anywhere with alternatives. kitchen upgrade will more than likely happen 1st when i would be able to make room for the lincat (the depth is the real issue being deeper than a standard work top and the price naturally).

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 08:55 PM »
thanks to all who contributed to this thread, i made the naans tonight using the recipe from josh and using the method from CA on the tawa.
 I am genuinley gobsmacked that you could make naans of that quality without a tandoor.

I may have fluked it, but i couldnt get enough of them, light wasnt the word. so much better than some of the stodge we get served up sometimes from the TA.

i wouldnt care but i have ordered a pizza stone as recommended, but for me the tawa method meets my needs i can have six naans done in ten minutes.

If these had failed i probably would never of tried making naans at home again.

a very happy man

alan ;D

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 09:31 PM »
Hey moonster do you have the recipe that you used for them to spec as i have a pizza stone and would like to give them a try?

Thanks

Garry

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 11:36 PM »
hi Gaz,

i dont know how to link it, but its the naan recipe from Josh in the side dish menu.
 seriously Gaz i have never made bread or naan before other than in a bread maker, but it well exceeded my expectations.

just follow his recipe to spec if you are using the pizza stone but omit the baking powder as he mentions further down the thread.(dont be put off by the stickiness at first just add SR flour a bit at the time but make sure you dont add the egg mixture in to quickly).

please note i let it raise for three hours before i put it in the fridge overnight as recommended from UB

if you want a garlic naan definatley have homemade ghee and brush it on top and sprinkle with garlic prior to putting it on the sone.

seriously though i was impressd by the tawa and dont regret the purcase one bit now ;D

ask razor, i think he starts his off on a tawa then slaps them on a pizza stone.

good recipe though from Josh

regards

Alan ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 12:08 PM »
If these had failed i probably would never of tried making naans at home again.

moonster,

this is a very important mind set for us all to adopt - failure is good. i know the immediate thought is that failure can't be good. i know personally that the family are not forgiving when you try something different and it don't work.

the importance as we all know is to learn from any mistake (and to seek our mutual support). it's just harder done than said.

well pleased for you.

©2024 Curry Recipes