Author Topic: How do they cook all those dishes in a Thali?  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
How do they cook all those dishes in a Thali?
« on: October 03, 2005, 10:46 AM »
I was wondering just how they manage to make so many small amounts of different curries like you get in a Thali. Some of the Thalis I have ordered have had seven different curries in them, how on earth do they make seven tiny amounts of curry like this all at the same time? Can they really have seven different pans on the go for this one order? I don't think so, so how must they do it?

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How do they cook all those dishes in a Thali?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 11:44 AM »
Hello Y.F.

Perhaps they start with one or two particular currys then add different spices / ingredients to each to make the next, more to that for the next and so on. Although I don't expect all seven evolve from the first two but I expect you get my idea I am sure.
I do believe some restaurants have pre-made curries in certain amounts to cope with this kind of thing otherwise it would be pretty time consuming for the chef just for one order like that.

Ray

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How do they cook all those dishes in a Thali?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 03:09 PM »
Perhaps they start with one or two particular currys then add different spices / ingredients to each to make the next, more to that for the next and so on

I hadn't thought of that, but yes, I think you may be right. Certainly there is enough similarity between dishes for it to happen this way. Even so they must still be using two or three pans and it must be quite frenetic. I would love to see them in action.

If any of the forum members who are friendly with their curry house staff could get the answer from the horses mouth I would be grateful.

©2024 Curry Recipes