Author Topic: De-gunging a deep-fat fryer ?  (Read 4470 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
De-gunging a deep-fat fryer ?
« on: October 25, 2010, 01:15 PM »
Any tips on de-gunging a deep-fat fryer ?  The dishwasher is failing to have any impact, so I have just filled it with boiling water and a biological laundry tablet and will run it for a while at the lowest setting to see if that helps.  If not, does anyone have any better ideas ?

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: De-gunging a deep-fat fryer ?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 04:40 PM »
You need a steam cleaner Phil.
Argh, my wife always wants to buy one of those when we go to things like the South of England show, and I always try to convince her we don't need one.  She will be pleased if I tell her that we now do !

Or maybe not : it looks as if the boil with a biological laundry tablet has really had some effect (apart from taking out the mains to the house when it overflowed and tripped the RCD); I may be able to avoid giving in about the steam cleaner after all  ;D

** Phil.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:14 PM by Chaa006 »

Offline TasteTester

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 06:23 PM »
If you're willing to use elbow grease, I swear that baking soda works. I read and read that it works, but who believes those old-wives' cleaning tales? I finally tried it, and it works.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 07:31 PM »
Yes, in the end, "elbow grease" (or, to be more precise, the repeated application of several fingernails, until they wore out !) removed far more gunge than most of my chemical treatments.  I also learned, as a part of this exercise, that I had been putting all sorts of things into the dishwasher that were not supposed to go in there, according to their manuals : the pan and lid of the deep-fat fryer, the lid of the pressure cooker, ...  Ah well, they seem to have survived, but it will be more elbow grease and less dish washering in the future !

** Phil.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 07:35 PM »
Fill it with water, add washing detergent, and bring it to the boil. Works a treat. Hope this helps.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Your water isn't hot enough. To clean a deep fat fryer your hands need to be stinging when you put your them in the water. Thick gloves, loads of washing up liquid and you'll have that bhaji fryer ship shape and Bristol fashion in seconds.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 12:32 PM »
Fill it with water, add washing detergent, and bring it to the boil. Works a treat. Hope this helps.
Yep, that's what I did : made a great improvement, but multiple applications of the fingernail were still needed subsequently to pick the gunge off the sieve part.

VC : I boiled it -- water doesn't get any hotter than that !

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 12:35 PM »
Phil, boiling it won't make any difference. You need to get at the thing with a cloth or a brillopad. Once you've got all the rubbish off rinse the beggar with hot water and you're good to go. It only takes a few moments to do it. Or you could just chuck it away and buy a new one because they're so cheap now!

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 12:40 PM »
Sorry, I realise that I'm talking about using a sink and hot water and you're talking about a dishwasher.

Having been unimpressed with dishwashers I probably shouldn't comment; silly things in my opinion.

©2024 Curry Recipes