Author Topic: Tandoori Chicken  (Read 5566 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Tandoori Chicken
« on: January 03, 2005, 01:07 PM »
This is a Maddhur Jaffrey recipe that has been posted to a number of sites and news groups.
It is without doubt the best tasting Tandoori Chicken dish that I have ever made. It is far removed from most of the Tandoori Chicken recipes that you find and is a million miles away from those recipes relying on ready prepared pastes and powders.
Madhhur Jaffrey states that this is an authentic recipe that came from an eaterie in Amritsar.

I must confess that I do not always make the chaat masalla and often rely on a brand that I pick up from a local Indian grocer.

Amritsari Tandoori Chicken

1.5 tablespoons cumin seeds
1.5 tablespoons black peppercorns
Seeds from 3 black cardamom pods
Seeds from 1 tablespoon green cardamom pods
1-teaspoon cloves
3 fresh hot green chillies, seeded and coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
1.5 inch piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
1.5 teaspoons salt
1-tablespoon mild chilli powder or paprika
2 tablespoons double cream
4 tablespoons sunflower oil
2.5 pound of skinned chicken pieces
3 tablespoons ghee or melted unsalted butter
1-2 tablespoons chaat masala (see below)
4 lime wedges

Method

1. Combine the cumin seeds, peppercorns, cardamom seeds and cloves and grind to a fine powder.
2. In a food processor combine the chillies, garlic cloves, root ginger, salt, chilli powder or paprika, double cream and sunflower oil then blend to a paste. Add the ground spices and mix thoroughly to form a marinade.
3. Cut deep diagonal slashes into the chicken pieces and then mix with the marinade to achieve an even coating of marinade over the chicken and worked deep into the slashes. Refrigerate overnight or up to 48 hours.
4. Remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off as much excess marinade as possible. Lay the chicken on a baking tray and baste with the ghee or melted butter.
5. Place the chicken in the top third of an oven pre-heated to its maximum temperature. Breast pieces will take 10-12 minutes to cook, legs and thighs15-20 minutes.
6. Once cooked through, remove the chicken from the oven; sprinkle with the chaat masala and limejuice and serve immediately.

Chaat Masala

4 teaspoons lightly roasted and ground cumin seeds.
1.5 tablespoons amchoor (ground mango powder)
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
0.75 teaspoon finely ground black salt
1-teaspoon salt

Mix all the ingredients thoroughly together ensuring that any lumps are broken up and store in a tightly lidded container.

Offline TasteTester

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Tandoori Chicken
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 07:56 PM »
I made the merinade (only I didn't grind fresh spices), but... I didn't really measure. Nor I grind fresh spices or going to use chaat masala. I just wanted a rough guide because I tend to be too skimpy on the spices. I'm pretty sure this recipe is great. It packs a punch that my previous ones did not.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tandoori Chicken
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 11:12 AM »
... I'm pretty sure this recipe is great. It packs a punch that my previous ones did not...

Hi

Are you sure?

Have you seen the Tikka Group Test results? - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5055.0

You may find a more enjoyable recipe there!

©2024 Curry Recipes