Author Topic: The Victor Effect  (Read 2463 times)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
The Victor Effect
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:36 AM »
Hi

I'm aware this subject has been aired before but with so many people just walking through and browsing the site and very few posting. Why when people offer bits if info is it so quickly stripped of value?

Regards

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Victor Effect
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 11:52 AM »
Hi

There is, and probably always will be a small minority that posters here than 'can' be - and certainly do give the impression of being overly dismissive, critical and negative in their posts.

There has also in the not too distant past been some massive argument / battle / rant / one-up-man-ship threads to give the wrong impression.

Not that they necessarily consider their own posts to have that tone, and I am sure would fiercely deny and dismiss these observations if put to them. There is also the distinct possibility that the observed 'tone' of the posts are not meant to come across as they do at all? we all know that the sentiment of a small forum post can take on a completely different one than that of a face to face conversation.

One of my friends has recently joined the forum and, at the moment he is too nervous to post for two main reasons.

1) He feels these is nothing a novice can contribute to the forum.

2) He does not feel comfortable making a post to ask advice due to his perception / observation that there is a fair chance (or so he feels) that his post will be met with harsh criticism or negativity.

The majority of regular posters here are probably unaware of the fact that some new posters feel this way. I think they should just get stuck in!

Often subjects do deserve a good debate and that can get a little heated...

Not quite sure what the answer is, but those points above are genuine concerns of a new member.

Cheers

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 12:07 PM »
Hi

Thank you solarsplace, you make some interesting points regarding your friend. Getting stuck in may be the only answer but I wonder?

Regards

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:00 PM »
The bottom line is that this site simply is not newbie-friendly. There are too many negative attitudes and too many threads derailed by petty arguments. I wish there was a stronger moderator presence on the site keeping these things in check - there are certain users who are prime candidates for such a role.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 03:26 PM »
I'm sure if newbies placed questions in the beginners section of the forum they would get fairly answered. As far as contributions go newbies can cook a recipe and comment on it as we all like to see recipe feedback.

I felt a bit bad the other day when the guy posted his chilli-con-carne recipe and a couple of us commented that the ingredients looked more curry than chilli.

But having said that this is a cooking forum and we are all cooks and passionate about curries and probably food in general. So I don't feel that bad!

Paul

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 03:35 PM »
I wish there was a stronger moderator presence on the site keeping these things in check
I think we should demonstrate our collective maturity and undertake the moderation ourselves, without needing to appoint a nanny. 

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 04:05 PM »
I felt a bit bad the other day when the guy posted his chilli-con-carne recipe and a couple of us commented that the ingredients looked more curry than chilli.

I was grateful to him for posting his chilli recipe. I said so. I feel he was then overly sensitive to suggestions that it might be a bit like curry and ending up cursing us all. It was most unfortunate.

One observation I've made across a number of forums is that they all seem to end up with a few dozen (at most) of main contributors. I don't know how or why it ends up that way.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 06:32 PM »
it's really disappointing and as far as i can see there is no cure or simple fix.

writing as if you are the receiver - is this taught or something you have to learn.

©2024 Curry Recipes