Author Topic: The Modern Balti Cookbook  (Read 4615 times)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
The Modern Balti Cookbook
« on: October 29, 2010, 03:12 PM »
Has anybody used any recipes from this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Balti-Curry-Cookbook/dp/1844541940/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1288360182&sr=8-1
I have been busy trying the recipes done the Chicken Balti Madras, Chicken Balti Jalfrezi and the chicken Balti Bhoona.
Must admit following the recipes to the word are not that impressive but after a few hits and misses i came up with the following

once i made the Special Balti Sauce (pg.108) i added enough water (while blending ) to make 1 litre of sauce,

Follow the Chicken Madras recipe (pg.118) but add 3 ladles of sauce intsead of the 450ml stated plus 1 tsp of dried fenugreek leaves after the sauce starts simmering.

Chicken Balti Jalfrezi

Folow recipe for Jalfrezi (pg.114) add 1 green chilli finely chopped with the garlic
2 medium sized onions 1 sliced finely and the other chopped into about half inch squares
add 3-5 green chillis with one of the chillis cut in half (you can prick the other chillis if you want)
add 3 ladles of the special balti sauce (pg108) making sure that the water evapourates (add the sauce gradually)

Chicken Balti Bhoona
Follow recipe for Bhoona (pg.109)
but add 4 small onions finely chopped(which should result in 8 tbsp of onion)
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp sesame oil (oil to be added after the onions are translucent)
add 3 ladles of the special sauce (pg.108)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: The Modern Balti Cookbook
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 03:45 PM »
Has anybody used any recipes from this book

It's Pat Chapman so unlikely  ;D   

He just reissues the same naff books with different covers, you only need one and you have most of the content for the rest of them, they are not very good either which you appear to have found out  :-X

This is just my opinion of course and many may disagree  ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 12:54 AM by Curry King »

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 12:01 PM »
With the adjustments to the recipes i made they are very, very nice actually surprised me really, i think its the sauce and how creamy and thick it is but i have to admit when the sauce is thinned out it makes really nice curries, the pastes recipes are well worth giving a go ( in my opinion anyway lol)  ;D.
Next time i make a curry will post a few pictures.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 03:54 AM »
With the adjustments to the recipes i made they are very, very nice actually surprised me really, i

Hi UF,

I've also made the "special balti base sauce" and quite a few of the recipes, particularly from the "balti specials" section, from this book (though that was many moons ago, I admit). 

They do, indeed, make very nice curries, in my opinion. 

The base is a little unusual, what with the addition of milk, celeriac and mooli, but it perhaps makes a refreshing (and interesting) change from the "normal" base recipes we see on this forum. 

Who knows what little useful tidbits (ingredients, techniques, etc) we might glean from such books?  I know I have  ;)

As I said, this is my opinion.  Some others may disagree, of course  ;)

PS:  As far as I know, this is not a repackaged book at all.  Although the first addition was simple called "Balti Curry Cookbook"

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:20 AM »
Hi Cory nice to see you back on the forums.
I have both books. :o
Has you already stated the addition of the mooli and celeriac (very easy to come by by me and very cheap) in the base plus milk is a refreshing change, just thought i would try something different has i have had the book for a good while, i also made the Chicken Balti Stock(pg.65) as well. I did make the pastes before but only made the Balti Meat, Medium Heat (pg.46) but used water instead not very impressive.
The pastes have a wonderful aroma when they are added to the pan and begin to sizzle, made the Balti Masala Paste (pg.38), Green Masala Paste (pg.39) and Tandoori Masala Paste(pg.39).
The Balti Madras was very nice indeed well worth the effort in my opinion anyway. ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes